Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Help with converting ProRes Raw to straight ProRes

I recently did a 5-day shoot for a client and I captured everything in ProRes Raw. After the shoot I found out that I would not be editing the footage and that the editor being used does not edit with FCP. I am hoping there is an easy way to convert the ProRes Raw footage to straight ProRes. I really am hoping to avoid bringing in each clip to the timeline and then exporting from there. And, how ever I do end up exporting to ProRes, what flavor would be suggested (It was capture from a Sony Fs5 onto and Atomos Inferno - 12 bit) I am assuming ProRes 422HQ or would there be an advantage to exporting to ProRes 4444 (if that's even possible)?

Thanks in advance!

Final Cut Pro X, iOS 11.3.1

Posted on May 29, 2018 9:54 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 4:56 AM

My immediate response was "Compressor", but alas it appears that Compressor does not support ProRes Raw (yet?).

So AFAICT, it appears that the only solution is the one you were fearing.

I imagine ProRes 422 HQ would be fine.

You could use ProRes 4444, but that would make files that are even bigger than Raw, and I don't think there would be any quality benefits (but I can't say for sure).

Note: you do not need to create a project for each clip. Just select a clip, Clip->Open Clip, File->Share... and so on.

You don't to wait for sharing to finish in order to share a new one, so you can speed things a bit.

If you add a keyboard shortcut to "Open Clip", it can be all done from the keyboard.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2018 4:56 AM in response to Zenyatta11

My immediate response was "Compressor", but alas it appears that Compressor does not support ProRes Raw (yet?).

So AFAICT, it appears that the only solution is the one you were fearing.

I imagine ProRes 422 HQ would be fine.

You could use ProRes 4444, but that would make files that are even bigger than Raw, and I don't think there would be any quality benefits (but I can't say for sure).

Note: you do not need to create a project for each clip. Just select a clip, Clip->Open Clip, File->Share... and so on.

You don't to wait for sharing to finish in order to share a new one, so you can speed things a bit.

If you add a keyboard shortcut to "Open Clip", it can be all done from the keyboard.

Help with converting ProRes Raw to straight ProRes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.