Announcement: Upgrade to macOS Mojave

With features like Dark Mode, Stacks, and four new built-in apps, macOS Mojave helps you get more out of every click. 
Find out how to upgrade to macOS Mojave > https://support.apple.com/macos/mojave

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Question:

Question: safari cannot connect to server

I’m opening a new thread because existing ones seem a bit old. Same problem as previous posts. I have the internet and can both receive mail from my ISP, and connect wirelessly with this iPad. The problem applies to applies to all browsers, so it can’t be Safari. It also occurs when I log in as a guest, so clearly it doesn’t lie in the user preferences for Safari when I‘ve followed all tips I’ve found:

I have:

turned off all firewalls

changed dns settings to directly get to google

scavenged all safari stuff in both the user and system libraries

The problem may be related to Dropbox. I was uploading a big group of files (probably 2 hours). So I went out for the afternoon. I noticed the Safari problem when I got home. So I have quit Dropbox from the icon in the menu bar. When I tried to delete the Dropbox app, I was unable to do so. The message was that ‘some extensions are still in use’. So I scavenged through my user library and system library and deleted everything I could see, and restarted. I still can’t delete the Dropbox app. It looks like Dropbox has seized ownership of all browser connections.

does one have any clues how to solve the problem?

MacBook Pro (15-inch Mid 2012), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on

May 30, 2018 2:52 PM in response to letuix In response to letuix

Good morning letuix!

It sounds like you're having some issues using your browsers to access the internet. I'll be happy to help see if the problem can be isolated.

Testing the issue out in a test user account is a great troubleshooting step. Have you also tried in safe mode? If not, try that now: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

Be aware that Wi-Fi networking may be limited in safe mode, but this will still be a good step to try. Sometimes just starting in safe mode, then restarting the MacBook can resolve some issues.

The following article goes over some information on extensions in Safari that may help with this issue.

If Safari doesn't load a page or webpage items are missing

Check Safari extensions

Some Safari extensions that block ads or other website content can prevent some page elements from displaying. You can temporarily turn off extensions, then re-load the page to see if this is the issue.

1. Choose Safari > Preferences.
  2. Click Extensions.
  3. Select an extension, then deselect the checkbox "Enable… extension." Repeat this step for every extension that's currently installed.

Reload the page by choosing Choose View > Reload in Safari. If the webpage loads correctly, one or more extensions was blocking the content from loading. Re-enable an extension, then reload the page again to determine which extension is blocking the content you want to view.
If the website still doesn't load with all of your extensions disabled, try the next steps in this article.

If Safari doesn't load pages from a specific site

If only one webpage or website isn't working, you can remove data related to that site to see if it fixes the issue. Use these steps to remove cookies, cache, and other data stored by Safari for a specific site:

1. Choose Safari > Preferences.
  2. Click the Privacy icon.
  3. Click the Details button.
  4. Search for the name or domain of the website whose data you want to remove.
  5. In the results list, click the domain (like example.com) that has data you want to remove.
  6. Click Remove.
  7. When you're finished, click Done and close the preferences window.

User uploaded file

If you used the Private Browsing feature of Safari when visiting a website, you might not see the site listed here.

If Safari doesn't load pages from multiple sites

In OS X Yosemite, you can delete website data for the past hour, or past few days if websites or pages stopped loading recently.

1. Choose History > Clear History and Website Data.
  2. In the sheet that appears, choose the range of data you want to remove from the Clear pop-up menu.
  3. Click Clear History.

User uploaded file
If you want to remove website data for all of the sites and pages you've ever visited, choose "all history" from the Clear pop-up menu. The option to Remove All Website Data in the Privacy pane of Safari preferences does this, too. These options also reset your browsing history and Top Sites.

Let us know how these steps go for you.

Cheers!

May 30, 2018 2:52 PM

Reply Helpful

Jun 14, 2018 2:06 PM in response to letuix In response to letuix

Thank's for your help!

I tried all your recommendations and many that I found on Apple's communities but no one worked for me 😟.

So by the next day I decided to make a fresh MacOS install on my computer.

I appreciate the time you give to this community !!

Regards,

af

Jun 14, 2018 2:06 PM

Reply Helpful
User profile for user: letuix

Question: safari cannot connect to server