Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete Backups.backupdb from trash

I have this folder in my trash. I want to get rid of it. I can't even remember what computer or external drive this was on but I'm pretty sure it was an old backup that the current time capsule does not use.

I can't seem to delete it any way I try and I can't work out how to check/access this in time machine in order to delete it through time capsule. In theory I shouldn't be able to access it in time machine because it's not the backup I use.

It was a backup from a previous TC on an external drive. That TC died and I wrongly dragged this to trash and tried to delete. The other problem is I can't remember exactly where on the external drive I used to keep it - a subfolder from the main drive, but what that subfolder was called I can't remember.

I have no idea how to get rid of it now that I can't secure empty trash.

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on May 29, 2018 12:29 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 1:53 PM

This troubleshooting page will give you some light on the subject: Can't empty the trash after deleting backups via the Finder.

Many users have found that erasing the TM drive and starting over solved the problem.

User uploaded file

13 replies

May 29, 2018 12:48 PM in response to David Bywater

Usually if you attempt to delete TM files via Finder, instead of from within TM they will get stuck in the Trash. But when you disconnect your TM/TC they will also be deleted from your Trash? That's because they are actually in the Trash on your TM drive.

Have you tried disconnecting the TC and what is the message you are getting when you try to empty the Trash?

May 29, 2018 1:10 PM in response to macjack

Good couple of points. I have reconnected the drive to see if I can empty the trash but no different. Because the TC is also my router I have just tried turning off wifi to try and then delete trash but no different.

I get 'The operation can’t be completed because the item “folders” is in use.' and then 'folders' changes to several other things before I get fed up and tell it to stop.

May 29, 2018 1:32 PM in response to macjack

Just tried it - no problems found on the TC.

I've tried shutdown and restart too but no change.

If I erase the TM might that make no difference? In theory this is a backup from a completely different TC that it won't delete. The current TC shouldn't really even know it exists as it's never come from the current TC. It could fix it but I'm also wondering whether all I will achieve is to lose my entire backup and still have this problem.

How to delete Backups.backupdb from trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.