Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Deleting Photos Library

In order to free up disk space on my laptop, I set my Photos Library to be stored on my external hard drive. I managed to successfully do this, and after doing this, I went in to my finder and deleted the "Photos Library" or PhotosLibrary.photoslibrary file that was stored ON MY MAC and only left the one stored on my external disk.

After doing this, I opened up my storage management and I saw that my Photo Library still consumed the original 43GB it took up before deleting the file. When I unplug my external hard drive, it says my photos library takes 0KB of memory on my internal disk space, but the "System" tab now takes up an additional 43 GB such that the space available on my mac is the exact same as before deleting it.

How can I delete the memory this Photos Library took up?

Thanks for your help.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2015), macOS Sierra (10.12.6)

Posted on May 29, 2018 12:26 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

May 29, 2018 3:01 PM in response to luisfornes

Where are you seeing the 43 GB reported? If it's in the About this Mac storage window, the graphical representation, ignore it. It's not relevant. It's being reported because the library is listed as the System Photo Library and thus is part of the system.

The best place to measure the amount of space used and free is in the Info pane for the hard drive or for the folder you're interested in:

User uploaded file User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Deleting Photos Library

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.