Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

tvOS 11.4 video streaming and HomePod sound issue

After updating my tvOS to 11.4 I am not able to stream video on my TV and hear the sound thru my HomePods. When I select Audio thru HomePod it immediately disconnects the video streaming and returns it to my iOS device. Although the AirPlay 2 menu shows both devices checked, that’s not working. That was working just fine on tvOS 11.3 and I could video stream on the TV with sound thru my HomePod. I did try all options on the Apple TV like pre-selecting the Audio output thru HomePod, etc. All other devices are updated now to 11.4

iPhone X, iOS 11.3.1, Cracked camera glass from inside

Posted on May 29, 2018 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 9:49 AM

Hello chv,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking for help with streaming video to your TV. I have a couple articles to assist you in checking the settings.

First, I recommend starting with this help article: If you can't use AirPlay or mirror your device's screen

If you see video but don't hear audio

If you don't hear audio when streaming video from your iOS device or Mac to your Apple TV, make sure that the volume is turned up and not muted on both your iOS device and your television or receiver.

If you're streaming video from an iPhone or iPad, check the Ring/Silent switch. If it's set to silent, you'll see an orange line. Toggle the switch to turn on the ringer.

The second thing I would check is that you are selected on the correct device to play the sound. This article has info and an example picture: Play audio to multiple speakers with AirPlay

From your Apple TV or HomePod

User uploaded file

You can use Siri to play music throughout your home. On Apple TV, you can also manually choose other speakers to add.

1. If you're listening to music, swipe up on your remote and select User uploaded file. Or press and hold User uploaded file on your remote.
  2. Select each additional device through which you want to play audio.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2018 9:49 AM in response to chv

Hello chv,

Thanks for visiting the Apple Support Communities and asking for help with streaming video to your TV. I have a couple articles to assist you in checking the settings.

First, I recommend starting with this help article: If you can't use AirPlay or mirror your device's screen

If you see video but don't hear audio

If you don't hear audio when streaming video from your iOS device or Mac to your Apple TV, make sure that the volume is turned up and not muted on both your iOS device and your television or receiver.

If you're streaming video from an iPhone or iPad, check the Ring/Silent switch. If it's set to silent, you'll see an orange line. Toggle the switch to turn on the ringer.

The second thing I would check is that you are selected on the correct device to play the sound. This article has info and an example picture: Play audio to multiple speakers with AirPlay

From your Apple TV or HomePod

User uploaded file

You can use Siri to play music throughout your home. On Apple TV, you can also manually choose other speakers to add.

1. If you're listening to music, swipe up on your remote and select User uploaded file. Or press and hold User uploaded file on your remote.
  2. Select each additional device through which you want to play audio.

Thanks and have a wonderful day.

May 30, 2018 10:17 AM in response to rose_10

None of these respond to the problem. There is a bug in tvOS 11.4 for sure. I reported it to Apple support and they took all the necessary info to send to the Engineering. Basically iOS video streaming to tvOS cannot send the sound thru HomePods and stops the video every time HomePod Audio output is selected manually or preselected in the Apple TV Settings. There is no way around the issue that I have found yet. If anyone can replicate the issue I would be interested to find out and especially if there is a work around. Thanks anyway.

Jun 20, 2018 9:16 PM in response to chv

This is LUDICROUS! They had like half a year to implement stereo Homepods.

I'm returning my 2nd homepod, and will replace it with a Sonos Beam that will work on launch. Homepod is such a scam. Can you guys hire more than one developer? I mean you spend billions of dollars making a campus, but you ran out of money to hire some people to test/fix some basic features?

Super pity I can't return the Apple TV 4K, but I got it "free" as a promo from DirecTV. I really regret trusting Apple. For what it's worth, I'll keep the one homepod. I can use it to control the Sonos beam, hopefully lol.

tvOS 11.4 video streaming and HomePod sound issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.