Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook not syncing contacts with iCloud

Hi everyone!

If you have an answer to this issue, your help is greatly appreciated.

Essentially, my MacBook has not been syncing contacts to iCloud. By that, I mean that it has not been fetching nor uploading contacts from/to the cloud. Whenever I create a new contact or update a contact on my iPhone, this information is pushed to the cloud (in fact, it shows up on iCloud.com and on my iPad), but it does not show up on my MacBook. When I use the messages app, for instance, threads with these new contacts show as unknown numbers.

Viceversa, when I create a new contact on my MacBook, this is not pushed to iCloud and does not show up anywhere but on the MacBook. A couple of times it did occur that the contact was uploaded to iCloud, so iCloud.com and my other devices would show two copies of the new contact, but the MacBook would still only show the one.

I have tried disabling contacts in System Preferences > iCloud, restarting the MacBook, and re-enabling contacts. I have tried toggling the fetching frequency in Contacts preferences... The same, un-updated list of contacts appears on the MacBook, without fetching the new ones.

Please let mw know if you have any suggestions or any fixes that don't involve getting rid of all my contacts. My MacBook is running macOS High Sierra (10.13.4).

Alessio 🎈

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), Space Gray, 500GB

Posted on May 29, 2018 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 30, 2018 1:52 AM

Hi Tesserax,

Yes, I am using the same iCloud account on all my devices. I tried the following this morning, upon someone else's suggestion:

• back up MacBook;
  • log out of iCloud on MacBook, not saving any copies of anything;
  • restart device;
  • log back into iCloud.

This seems to have fixed the issue. Hopefully the MacBook will not abandon iCloud again. I don't want to have to do this every time I add a new contact to my iPhone.

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 30, 2018 1:52 AM in response to Tesserax

Hi Tesserax,

Yes, I am using the same iCloud account on all my devices. I tried the following this morning, upon someone else's suggestion:

• back up MacBook;
  • log out of iCloud on MacBook, not saving any copies of anything;
  • restart device;
  • log back into iCloud.

This seems to have fixed the issue. Hopefully the MacBook will not abandon iCloud again. I don't want to have to do this every time I add a new contact to my iPhone.

MacBook not syncing contacts with iCloud

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.