Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MacBook Pro and Recognizing Paired HomePods

I have two HomePods that are paired for stereo output. The pairing is recognized on my iOS devices and sounds brilliant when I play music through my phone or iPad. The problem comes with my MacBook Pro running High Sierra. Under sound output, it sees “HomePod Living Room - Right” and “HomePod Living Room - Left,” and I can only output to one or the other with no stereo.

Have I done anything wrong in the setup process, or is this simply a matter of High Sierra needing the coming update to activate this feature? Thanks in advance for your help, folks.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, macOS High Sierra (10.13), 500 gig; 8 gig ram

Posted on May 30, 2018 4:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 8:20 AM

An update following a call to Apple Tech Support on Friday evening: The HomePod support person I spoke with consulted with her senior manager who told her macOS 10.13.5 and the latest version of iTunes do NOT work with or support a paired HomePod set. You will see two separate HomePods in the iTunes toolbar and in the Finder toolbar ... you can send audio to one or the other but not both for stereo. Every other device I have recognizes the stereo pair, but not the MacBook. They suggested anyone having this problem submit feedback on Apple.com/feedback.

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 2, 2018 8:20 AM in response to Logan Anderson

An update following a call to Apple Tech Support on Friday evening: The HomePod support person I spoke with consulted with her senior manager who told her macOS 10.13.5 and the latest version of iTunes do NOT work with or support a paired HomePod set. You will see two separate HomePods in the iTunes toolbar and in the Finder toolbar ... you can send audio to one or the other but not both for stereo. Every other device I have recognizes the stereo pair, but not the MacBook. They suggested anyone having this problem submit feedback on Apple.com/feedback.

Jun 2, 2018 6:30 PM in response to Logan Anderson

Actually that is the case for AirPlay, but you can also use iTunes as a remote control for HomePod with the Switch to: control, or at least you can with a Mac and Apple Music. In that mode the stereo pair is recognized correctly and plays what you ask it to in stereo. In this case Bedroom is my stereo pair and I used iTunes to start the track that is playing before switching back to controlling the computer so show the different AirPlay options. The Apple TV is also playing Mad World independently, but iTunes isn't providing feedback for that. 😕

User uploaded file

tt2

May 30, 2018 2:48 PM in response to Logan Anderson

TuringTest2 ... Was just on the phone with Apple support, and she informed me there is a Mac OS update -- 10.13.5 -- that will come out any day now that will allow iTunes to recognize paired HomePods and play through them. I kept being told to sign in to Apple Music before I could play music on my MacBook through HomePod, but nothing would happen. Marie said Tech Support was just told about the OS update yesterday. Thanks for your help earlier.

Jun 1, 2018 11:26 PM in response to Logan Anderson

Hello,

Updated to 10.3.5 and using iTunes 12.7.5.9. One pair of HomePods.

iTunes doesn't recognise the pair when more than 20' apart in the same room with no obstructions etc, but works when the Homepods are within 8'. I have a good network and work software tech support so I know it's ok.

I restarted the network anyway (AirPort Extreme which is located almost in between the HomePods).

When apart it seems to be reading two HomePods - the singular with the same name and now a copy which only plays one speaker. If I click on the other nothing happens and it then greys out.

When the HomePods are close and work as a pair somehow and I still see the dummy speaker and when I change the volume on one both sliders jump about like crazy.

So two icons - 'Kitchen' and 'Kitchen2' both showing singular icons. Is there a way to reset the network connections for iTunes without blowing up all my network or music settings?

Cheers,

Peter

Jun 2, 2018 9:47 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for your help and reply. That's what I have done as you describe.

BTW, I've just come back from the Apple Store in Sydney and they tried it. Same thing - only one of the pair in their set up worked! I was told it obviously hasn't been implemented... yet, it worked for me once when the speakers were closer than 20', but fails now. Maybe I need to wait for Airplay 2.1?!

Cheers,

Peter

Jun 8, 2018 10:21 AM in response to PeterSydney

Hi! I'm a German customer using iTunes 12.7.5.9 x64 on a Windows 10 x64 platform (actual reviosn with all updates installed 06/08/2018).

The paired Homepods are just shown as single Homepods and iTunes always loses connection to one of them. it's neither possible to use paired homepods nor airplaying to both of them via iTunes.

All other (iOS) devices work perfectly.

Greetings! :-)

Aug 10, 2018 1:01 PM in response to Logan Anderson

I'm a Mac user. Bought two homepods. Paired them using IOS. But I cant watch youtube on my macmini or macbook pro in stereo.

I cant listen to Spotify on stereo from my macs nor can I watch netflix with stereo homepods. (which was the purpose of getting two in the first place)

Yes I know, I could play music on the iphone or Ipad and will work, but what about while i'm working on my Mac and need to watch a youtube video?

As of now, only itunes in Mac is supporting these APPLE speakers paired. Not the "system" sound output.

Apple, please fix this with the public release of macOS Mojave...

(macOS Mojave 10.14 Beta)

MacBook Pro and Recognizing Paired HomePods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.