Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airplay 2 out of sync between ATV4K and Homepods

All 3 devices are on Wifi on the same access point. Both HomePods are in *Perfect Sync* but my AppleTV is slightly off. ATV is plugged into a sound bar via HDMI with Stereo output configured on the ATV. I was really hoping all AP2 devices would be tightly in sync. This is a major bummer.

Posted on May 30, 2018 3:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 9:34 AM

I have tested this extensively, and it is definitely an Airplay 2 issue. I have two HomePods and two ATVs, one 4K and the other latest 1080p version. When playing music to all four devices using iTunes on my MBP and selecting each as a speaker everything is in perfect sync - always. When I attempt to stream the exact same music from my iPhone 8 running iOS 11.4, the two HomePods are in perfect sync, but the ATVs aren't. What's more, the amount that the ATVs are out of sync with the HomePods varies quite a bit. Sometimes it's nearly in sync, but more often than not it's off by enough to make everything unlistenable.

This is not an issue of HDMI latency. There is something wrong with Airplay 2. Using the "old" Airplay method of streaming to multiple devices from a Mac running iTunes works as it always has - everything in perfect sync (with the occasional dropout anyone who's used Airplay is used to). All of my devices are running on the same network using an AirPort Extreme with the latest firmware.

It's a shame that after waiting all this time for Airplay 2 that this is happening.

Similar questions

28 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2018 9:34 AM in response to fladtheimpaler

I have tested this extensively, and it is definitely an Airplay 2 issue. I have two HomePods and two ATVs, one 4K and the other latest 1080p version. When playing music to all four devices using iTunes on my MBP and selecting each as a speaker everything is in perfect sync - always. When I attempt to stream the exact same music from my iPhone 8 running iOS 11.4, the two HomePods are in perfect sync, but the ATVs aren't. What's more, the amount that the ATVs are out of sync with the HomePods varies quite a bit. Sometimes it's nearly in sync, but more often than not it's off by enough to make everything unlistenable.

This is not an issue of HDMI latency. There is something wrong with Airplay 2. Using the "old" Airplay method of streaming to multiple devices from a Mac running iTunes works as it always has - everything in perfect sync (with the occasional dropout anyone who's used Airplay is used to). All of my devices are running on the same network using an AirPort Extreme with the latest firmware.

It's a shame that after waiting all this time for Airplay 2 that this is happening.

May 31, 2018 3:09 PM in response to fladtheimpaler

This isn't an Airplay 2 issue. The soundbar attached to my LG OLED TV has no HDMI Input so the ATV is going through the TV and back to the soundbar. The TV is introducing latency. Even using the TV speakers there is a delay. The soundbar in the bedroom that has ATV going directly to it via HDMI (ARC) is in perfect sync with the HomePods. I am happy about this I can always just upgrade that soundbar.

Jun 3, 2018 2:40 AM in response to fladtheimpaler

I have a similar issue.

When using Airplay 2 the latency between the Homepod and ATV (Direct to stereo amp) is 1/4 second out of sync. When using Airfoil on Mac the issue goes away. Makes me think the issue is with Airplay 2 and it's inability to deal with latency issues between HP and ATV. Does anyone have any thoughts on a fix or workaround?

Jun 9, 2018 5:46 AM in response to rockmyplimsoul

Both routing audio and video over HDMI. I ran more tests last night and playing audio to this mix of devices from iTunes on my Mac everything was synced perfectly. Trying to play the same song from the music app on my iPhone and everything drifts out of sync. Sometimes it’s nearly there, but then drifts and gets worse. Never fully in sync though.

Jun 17, 2018 12:26 AM in response to fladtheimpaler

For my setup at least it seems that the issue lies with having the HomePod as the route source of the media you want to play. If I use Spotify on IOS and airplay to the HP and ATV using my iPhone as the source of the media then both HP and ATV are in perfect sync. However, if I ask Siri to play from the HomePod to two speakers at the same time or manually do the same through the music app on the iPhone I have terrible latency. It’s a strange one, just means I’m back on Spotify and not using Siri to play music as much as I would like.

Jul 13, 2018 9:32 AM in response to fladtheimpaler

It's out of sync between Homepods and various ATV's. I tried initiating the playback from iPhone, Mac, and Homepod itself- all were off. All software was updated with most recent releases. All Homepods were in sync. ATV's are hooked up via HDMI to TV to Optical to Receiver. Sorta kills the Sonos killer concept. Perhaps Apple should offer a sync control to account for latency or make it actually work between ATV and Homepods.

Aug 13, 2018 12:36 AM in response to fladtheimpaler

I do think this is an airplay 2 issue. My Apple TV 4K is connected direct to the tv using which also has the latest firmware. I then point the apple tv to play sound over airplay to my airplay compatible amp. When navigating the Apple tv menu I hear the menu blips in perfect sync. When I then start a movie, the picture is delayed over the sound. When I point the Apple TV to play its sound direct (ie not airplay) to the tv then both image and sound are in sync.

Aug 21, 2018 9:42 AM in response to fladtheimpaler

So I have 2 living/family rooms that are adjacent to each other separating by a fireplace. Same tv on either side of the fireplace. One side has a Pioneer Elite 302 and the other Yamaha 681. Both sides running 5.2.1 Dolby with identical speakers in walls/ceilings.

Apple TV 4Ks attached to both receivers. Both receivers are hardwired in a gigabit network, both Apple TVs are hardwired on the same network. Nothing is wireless in my house other than phones and laptops. It doesn't matter what I do, but Yamaha is always behind. It sounds terrible. I can't have synced music at all. I am at a point of considering just running an RCA cable in my addict as an input to the other receiver. It sounds like a young DJ who is used to pressing sync button on Traktor/Serato and his laptop broke and now has to use real beat matching. It's terrible. I tried playing around with all sorts of settings, but nothing works.

I just tried disconnecting the receivers and plugging Apple TVs directly to identical TVs using identical fiber optic HDMI cables, and guess what the issue still exists. Same side where the Yamaha receiver is, is still behind about 1/4 of a beat.

That side is closer to the switch so the cat6 cable is shorter, and i't still behind. I am pretty 100% positive it is an airplay 2 issue.

Aug 31, 2018 3:49 PM in response to goudok

I believe this to be a TV issue. In particular hdmi ARC. My setup - 2 Sonos speakers and Bose soundbar connected via hdmi arc to TV(Sony). The ATV 4K connected to TV.

Using AirPlay 2 via iPhone, iPad, iMac or MBP the soundbar is always slightly out of sync. Tried airfoil on the Mac and made no difference. Used Apple Music, Amazon music and Spotify, all the same.

The only way to sync everything is to play the sound from the ATV from the TV speakers only (changed in TV settings) and not feed to Soundbar. Unfortunately there are no audio delay settings on the Sony TV.

Airplay 2 out of sync between ATV4K and Homepods

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.