Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Beware that Total AV virus protection is a scam

My MacBook air was operating slower than usual yesterday so I went online to find a trustworthy virus protection. After reading all of the highly rated "reviews" on so-called official review websites I downloaded totalAV protection and then got sucked into "upgrading" it for $29.00. With one day I was dealing with multiple problems/virus issues which I have not ever had on this computer in 3 years. It was a nightmare to uninstall as well. Stupid me. I hope this post helps others to avoid the same mistake.

Posted on May 31, 2018 9:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 31, 2018 10:06 AM

The likelihood that you have any viruses on your Mac is pretty close to 0% as there are currently no know Mac viruses in the wild (last I checked). What is more likely is that the AV software you downloaded mistook normal, benign files as viruses. There are other types of malware that can cause problems.

You don't need AV software on a Mac. While you have have some malware on your computer, it's not the first thing I'd consider if the computer was running slowly. To start, I'd look at Activity Monitor and see what's going on. AV software itself is notorious for slowing down Macs.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

For more in depth diagnoses, use Etrecheck.

https://etrecheck.com/

Feel free to post the results here so people can help you figure them out.

You might also run Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes for Mac—Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 31, 2018 10:06 AM in response to snorfleet

The likelihood that you have any viruses on your Mac is pretty close to 0% as there are currently no know Mac viruses in the wild (last I checked). What is more likely is that the AV software you downloaded mistook normal, benign files as viruses. There are other types of malware that can cause problems.

You don't need AV software on a Mac. While you have have some malware on your computer, it's not the first thing I'd consider if the computer was running slowly. To start, I'd look at Activity Monitor and see what's going on. AV software itself is notorious for slowing down Macs.

Effective defenses against malware and other threats

For more in depth diagnoses, use Etrecheck.

https://etrecheck.com/

Feel free to post the results here so people can help you figure them out.

You might also run Malwarebytes:

Malwarebytes for Mac—Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes

May 31, 2018 10:08 AM in response to snorfleet

All such antivirus software should be avoided always. They do no good and only cause problems. Maybe if you follow the suggestion below we might be able to help you.

I suggest you use the program created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. It will provide a snapshot of your system which we can analyze to possibly determine the cause of your problem. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Beware that Total AV virus protection is a scam

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.