Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is there a more thorough uninstall than drag & drop to Trash

Is there a more thorough uninstall than dragging an app from Apps and dropping it in Trash?

I am having a problem with Norton Internet Security, where the Clean function crashes every time I use it. I did the normal uninstall by dragging the app from Apps and dropping it into Trash. After I reinstalled the application, the problem persisted. I am wondering if there is a more thorough uninstall that would more completely removed all remnants of the app. I have since installed the same app on my wife's mac, and all is working fine.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 8.3, newest MacBook Pro Model

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 6:35 AM

7 replies

Jun 1, 2018 7:11 AM in response to macjack

Hi macjack,

Thank you for your feedback. All the recent articles I've read from reputable sources state that, while it's less likely for macs to encounter virus, malware or hack attack issues, they are NOT immune to them. I'm fairly certain I also recall hearing about a specific serious virus targeting macs - possible 2-3 years ago.

While I do have the virus protection activated, I am mostly using it for the security functions of the application. I do not feel I have the advanced knowledge to properly setup my own firewalls and other advanced security settings.

If you feel that Norton Internet Security is the wrong choice, what other application would you suggest?

Jun 1, 2018 7:39 AM in response to Googmeister

Mac has it's own built in security which is why AV apps are unnecessary. You don't need firewalls or any "advanced security protection." In order to get malware on a Mac you actually need to choose to install it. SIP (System Integrity Protection) will not let you install without authentication. If you do get "fooled" into installing malware you can use Malwarebytes to get rid of it.

Is there a more thorough uninstall than drag & drop to Trash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.