Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS calendar doesn't search properly

Hi-

For several months I've had a problem searching my calendar on an iPhone X and iPad mini.

When I name an event, say as "tom" when I search on Tom it returns most but not all of the items named tom. I've opened and closed the calendar, rebooted both devices....no love. The calendar works fine searching on my iMac and in iCloud but not on either iOS devices, making them unreliable for my main scheduler.

Any troubleshooting tips or ideas most welcome.

thanks,

Marianne

iPhone X, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 1, 2018 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 9:34 AM

Good afternoon Marianne OConnell,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are not seeing all of the search results you are expecting in the Calendar app on your iPhone X. Let's check a few settings on your iOS devices to see if we can improve search results.
Try these on the iPhone X first, then do the same on the iPad mini if you get the results you want:

1. Open the Settings app
  2. Tap Calendar
  3. Tap Sync. Make sure "All Events" is showing
  4. In the upper left corner, tap Calendar to go back one screen.
  5. Tap Siri & Search
  6. Make sure "Search & Siri Suggestions" is enabled (green button)
  7. Turn on "Find Events in Other Apps"
  8. Restart iPhone
iPhone User Guide - Manage your calendar

Enjoy your day!
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2018 9:34 AM in response to Marianne OConnell

Good afternoon Marianne OConnell,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are not seeing all of the search results you are expecting in the Calendar app on your iPhone X. Let's check a few settings on your iOS devices to see if we can improve search results.
Try these on the iPhone X first, then do the same on the iPad mini if you get the results you want:

1. Open the Settings app
  2. Tap Calendar
  3. Tap Sync. Make sure "All Events" is showing
  4. In the upper left corner, tap Calendar to go back one screen.
  5. Tap Siri & Search
  6. Make sure "Search & Siri Suggestions" is enabled (green button)
  7. Turn on "Find Events in Other Apps"
  8. Restart iPhone
iPhone User Guide - Manage your calendar

Enjoy your day!

Jun 3, 2018 12:47 PM in response to Joseph_S.

Joseph-

Many thanks for all the tips...I've tried all of them. No love.

Here is where I stand. I entered 6 events in my calendar. All with the exact same info. Tom (date) (time). When I search the calendar for "Tom" it returns only 5 of the dates (both on my iPad and iPhone ) in iOS and when I search in my iMac or MBA it shows all 6 and when I search on the web in iCloud, it shows all 6. I've deleted and re-entered the missing event...same result. I've tried to "fool" the search by entering it as space-space-Tom...same result. I did find a weird solution (but this isn't really a solution) - if I type just "T" in the search box, all 6 events are found...too weird for words.

I'm obsessing on this because i completely rely on my iPhone calendar to stay on track and this failure makes it unreliable...

thanks again,

Marianne

iOS calendar doesn't search properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.