Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 11.4 messages

IOS 11.4 Messages - no sounds or notifications.

Update to IOS 11.4 a couple of days ago and have just discovered that when receiving a new message there is no sound or notification. I had no problems before the upgrade.

I have checked: suitable text tone is on (and max volume); notifications on (including show as banners); Do Not Disturb is 'off'; Mute button is not active.

I have not enabled Messages in iCloud.

Anyone else with a similar problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you

Posted on Jun 2, 2018 2:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 10, 2018 11:49 AM

I have the same issue and spent over 90 mins with Apple support yesterday (I spoke with a supervisor).

First, I will detail my issue so that everyone that is suffering can add to this serious problem:

- When an iMessage is received it should light up the lock screen and appear as long as the "show on lock screen" is selected. Additionally the phone may vibrate if that is set in your notification settings. After upgrading to iOS 4, this is not occurring. When you wake up the screen the notification is on the lock screen so the iMessage has arrived, the notification just isn't working.

- If you have a connected device - in my case a Garmin watch, the iMessage notification is pushed to the watch so the push notification is working, it is just not working on the phone. I tested with bluetooth off which disconnects the phone and the same issue occurred so to be clear, it has nothing to do with the watch.

- I switched off all iCloud connected devices and computers which made no difference

- I do not have iMessage in the cloud switched on

- I have no issue with SMS messages which are pushed to me as they should be

Next...my conversation with Apple support and how you can possibly - and temporarily - fix the issue

- Frighteningly, they are unaware of any issue so please please call them and file bug reports if you can because the sooner they recognize it, the sooner it'll be fixed! I had two Apple reps get confused around the preview settings on iPhone X. The setting that causes the phone to light up when an iMessage is received is the "show on lock screen". The show preview option just determines whether you see the first few sentences without having your face "unlock". Switching between these does not affect whether an alert is pushed to you or not, just the behavior once that it is (pushed)

- That said, switching between preview modes seems to cause the iMessages to intermittently work correctly. BUT, it doesn't work more often than it does so it is not a solution

- I switched the phone off and back on again: no change

- Last I logged out of my iCloud account and performed a hard boot. This solved the issue for the rest of the afternoon but it returned in the morning.

Next steps for me:

- I am going to perform a hard boot again (details below) and I will switch off do not disturb overnight to see if that solves it so that it doesn't return

To perform a hard boot:

- iPhone X: Hit the up volume button, then down volume button and then hold down the power button until the whole phone turns off and reboots

- Non-iPhone X: Press the home and power buttons simultaneously until the phone turns off on its own and reboots

Similar questions

19 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 10, 2018 11:49 AM in response to HD33

I have the same issue and spent over 90 mins with Apple support yesterday (I spoke with a supervisor).

First, I will detail my issue so that everyone that is suffering can add to this serious problem:

- When an iMessage is received it should light up the lock screen and appear as long as the "show on lock screen" is selected. Additionally the phone may vibrate if that is set in your notification settings. After upgrading to iOS 4, this is not occurring. When you wake up the screen the notification is on the lock screen so the iMessage has arrived, the notification just isn't working.

- If you have a connected device - in my case a Garmin watch, the iMessage notification is pushed to the watch so the push notification is working, it is just not working on the phone. I tested with bluetooth off which disconnects the phone and the same issue occurred so to be clear, it has nothing to do with the watch.

- I switched off all iCloud connected devices and computers which made no difference

- I do not have iMessage in the cloud switched on

- I have no issue with SMS messages which are pushed to me as they should be

Next...my conversation with Apple support and how you can possibly - and temporarily - fix the issue

- Frighteningly, they are unaware of any issue so please please call them and file bug reports if you can because the sooner they recognize it, the sooner it'll be fixed! I had two Apple reps get confused around the preview settings on iPhone X. The setting that causes the phone to light up when an iMessage is received is the "show on lock screen". The show preview option just determines whether you see the first few sentences without having your face "unlock". Switching between these does not affect whether an alert is pushed to you or not, just the behavior once that it is (pushed)

- That said, switching between preview modes seems to cause the iMessages to intermittently work correctly. BUT, it doesn't work more often than it does so it is not a solution

- I switched the phone off and back on again: no change

- Last I logged out of my iCloud account and performed a hard boot. This solved the issue for the rest of the afternoon but it returned in the morning.

Next steps for me:

- I am going to perform a hard boot again (details below) and I will switch off do not disturb overnight to see if that solves it so that it doesn't return

To perform a hard boot:

- iPhone X: Hit the up volume button, then down volume button and then hold down the power button until the whole phone turns off and reboots

- Non-iPhone X: Press the home and power buttons simultaneously until the phone turns off on its own and reboots

Jun 4, 2018 8:44 AM in response to HD33

Good morning HD33,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand you are not hearing sounds with notifications in the Messages app since updating to iOS 11.4. Have you restarted your iPhone since doing the update? Are you having issues with sounds in any other application?
If you hear no sound or distorted sound from your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch speaker
Take care.

Jun 4, 2018 11:08 AM in response to Joseph_S.

I have tried restarting the iPhone (more than once) but this hasn't helped.

I don't receive messages on my iPhone very often so now I'm wondering if it isn't associated with the upgrade but me inadvertently changing a setting somewhere - but I've been through all the usual suggestions which appear on various websites.

Sound is fine on all the other applications I have tried.

Thank you.

Jun 10, 2018 11:55 AM in response to RickieB1970

Thank you for your detailed reply.

I've just checked and I have got Notifications / Alerts / Show in History turned on, I have tried logging out and back in to iCloud and I have performed a hard boot a number of times. I think my experience is the same as yours - iMessages works correctly sometimes for a while but then the problems return.

I'm away at the moment so will contact Apple Support when I return.

Aug 26, 2018 2:14 PM in response to RickieB1970

I have been having the problem only with message notification on my iPad only. iPhone works fine. Everything up to date and I have tried everything that anybody has suggested to no avail. Doing a complete reset will,help the problem for about 24 hours. And when Apple says they aren’t aware of the problem that is just someone who isn’t aware of what’s going on. I have been on my blogs with literally 1000’s of people having this problem. They are aware of it, but ob visually don’t care. I am getting so frustrated by Apples support. It has gotten so elementary. Usually I know more then the person I am talking to. And when they tell you they will esculate it and someone will call you back. Good luck. That’s just a way of getting you off the phone.

and with the last 11.04 it is happening on many more apps that notifications are not coming thru. Wish there really was some educated help. I will keep reading everything I can and hopefully someone will find the answer. Will not download 12 unless someone says it corrects this problem. No telling what other problems that upgrade holds

Sep 26, 2018 10:50 PM in response to RickieB1970

Have the same issue. However, I only do not get the notifications from like 1-2 contacts (I get most notifications). I spoke to Apple Support a few weeks ago, they claimed it was because my contact had a 'setting that did not allow notifications to send on my phone' which I thought was a bit bizarre. Now I now it is a bug. Thanks

IOS 11.4 messages

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.