Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.4 really killed battery life

iPhone 6s battery will not last more then several hours anyone else see the same issue?

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 10:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 1:06 PM

Same phone (6S), same problem as many are having. Prior to 11.4 update I could charge the phone before bed, have it at 100% and then 8 hours later it would be at 97%. Consistently. After the update it runs down to 25% or less overnight. Nothing going on app-wise, all standby time with perhaps 1 or two minutes of app activity.

Tried hard reset, etc. etc. etc.

What is temporarily working: disabling all Location Services.

Battery performance is as it was before the 11.4 update. So perhaps it is a bug with iOS or an app or apps using location services very excessively?

17 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2018 1:06 PM in response to kirkt300

Same phone (6S), same problem as many are having. Prior to 11.4 update I could charge the phone before bed, have it at 100% and then 8 hours later it would be at 97%. Consistently. After the update it runs down to 25% or less overnight. Nothing going on app-wise, all standby time with perhaps 1 or two minutes of app activity.

Tried hard reset, etc. etc. etc.

What is temporarily working: disabling all Location Services.

Battery performance is as it was before the 11.4 update. So perhaps it is a bug with iOS or an app or apps using location services very excessively?

Jun 20, 2018 5:33 AM in response to kirkt300

I got my battery changed and the problem still remains... so this is definitely an iOS problem. Don't even bother changing your batteri guys, it's money down the drain.

Apple... PLEASE can you prioritize and solve this to the next update or at least provide the possibility to install an earlier iOS version. This is ridiculous!

Jun 20, 2018 6:04 AM in response to marykw

Add me to this list of disgruntled 11.4 updates. Last night I forgot to put my phone on the charger. But I remember it had about 75% battery life. When I got up this morning it was at 14%, and that is with the phone not being used at all! I have read as much as I can online and found some suggestions, so we'll see what happens. One clue might be that in the past couple of weeks I'll "open" my phone and an app will be open that I did not open. I saw a suggestion to turn off "Background App Refresh". I never heard of that. Sure enough, it was turned on. I HATE when Apple adds features and they are activated without asking me if I want it or not. I don't get up in the morning looking to see if there is some new feature on my phone that needs to be turned off even though I never turned it on - and don't even know what it's for or how it got there. Apple makes great hardware and operating systems, but their features and apps suck. I have no problem with them adding features for the "power users", but please don't activate them without "asking" me first if I want the feature activated. [/rant]...for now!

Jun 20, 2018 1:55 PM in response to kirkt300

My Iphone 6s is currently being looked at Apple. I had the battery replaced last February and four months later it only lasts half a day. I suspect HW, but nowdays you never now with Apple. I have had around 10 devices and I see a clear degradation in SW quality. Probably they will try to have a second battery installed but honestly I think a change of brands is the best option.

Jun 25, 2018 1:45 PM in response to kirkt300

Absolutely. My iPhone 6s was fine before I updated to ios11.4. Now the battery drains in less than 7 hours with everything except WiFi turned off. It’s bloody ridiculous. I swear to god this is my last iPhone as Apple don’t seem to give a crap about their responsibility to people who purchased very expensive products less than 18 months ago.

Aug 1, 2018 4:24 AM in response to kirkt300

I worked 7 Years in the mobile phone industry and I ONLY ever used Android. I got my 1st iPhone 6 16gb from a customer who just upgraded. I had it for 2 days and it was great! Then on July 17th a day that for me will always be remembered as the day I downloaded 11.4. The next morning I woke up at 6AM July 18th with a full charge, by 10AM my phone was dead. Not only did I notice that but my GPS wouldn’t locate me with location turned on. When it did finally locate me it would say I was 5-10 miles in any direction away from my actual location then start flying around like crazy everywhere I wasn’t!! . If those issues were not enough, I ran a diagnostic test with the Sprint “tech expert” app and everything passed except It says “INTERNAL STORAGE FAILURE!!” Being the tech savvy guy I am I completely reset and restored my phone and optimized all settings for best battery life. I then waited 30min and noticed that still all 3 issues exist. Sprint had no clue so I went to Apple. We found out that the battery issues I am experiencing COULD BE caused by the insane number of charge cycles the prior owners used. Yet my battery health is at 89%. The Genius I spoke to had no idea why I would have an internal storage failure after 11.4 or why my GPS won’t locate me ever. All I know is as a Carsalesperson I cannot have these issues, they are costing me time and money.

Aug 8, 2018 5:46 AM in response to kirkt300

I had no issues with my iPad Air 2 until 11.4.1 update. After update iPad power drained immediately and it stopped charging due to no longer recognizing the Apple charger & cable. Apple support helped me to power it up through iTunes but it doesn’t resolve the issue and power still drains overnight. Apple support have remotely assessed my iPad and advised that the issue is with the internal dock... must just be coincidence that it happened with the iOS update!

iOS 11.4 really killed battery life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.