Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPlay Device Compatibility with iTunes

Updated iTunes to Version 12.7.5.9 and got an error message "The AirPlay device “DENON:[AVR-4311CI]” is not compatible with this version of iTunes." Running macOS 10.13.4 The DENON is not showing any new firmware updates. Anyone else having this problem?

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 1:57 PM

19 replies

Sep 24, 2018 11:49 AM in response to Nomina

Update: Found a partial workaround in another thread...

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8465116?answerId=33895420022#33895420022

However, attempting to play via iTunes to a second AirPlay speaker will disable the workaround and throw the same compatibility error. Feels like Apple has (once again) decided everyone needs to throw away their legacy equipment and upgrade. Oddly enough, my equally old (and equally cheap) ARAP50 still works just dandy. Now we just need to wait for the iTunes team to start talking to the rest of the Apple dev teams.

Jun 14, 2018 10:37 AM in response to Marc Hofstede

I have been told today that even the new AVR X6400 is not currently compatible and will not be until a firmware update is issued. The update is expected sometime in early July but realistically who knows if that will be the timing. I have also been told that Denon's support will go back only 1 generation. So my 3311, for example, will not be receiving a firmware update to address this issue. To stay with Denon, choices seem to be buy a new Denon and wait for the firmware or use an older version of itunes.

Jun 29, 2018 6:15 AM in response to MichAndert

I also have the 3311CI and, of course, have this issue. I tried uninstalling iTunes and re-installing 12.7.3.46 to see if that would work. It is not a trivial task, by the way. But after that I could not connect to my receiver as I kept getting an "Unknown error (20)".

I am extremely irritated with Apple that they would not leave backward compatibility in place for AirPlay. It would not be difficult at all.

I am trying to decide what to do. It is about time for a new receiver but now I am focusing energy on what alternatives I have to iTunes and what it will take to convert my library over. Google Play Music is looking promising.

Jul 14, 2018 4:51 PM in response to RAD P

After the release of iTunes 12.8 and a firmware update from Denon on the same day, My AVR-X2400H successfully connected to Airplay twice and then went back to the same behavior as before. Intermittent at best and usually get the same error messages as you all have posted. Bluetooth works fairly well, but that is not why I bought the Denon. Anyone have any success after the most recent firmware and iTunes 12.8 update?

AirPlay Device Compatibility with iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.