Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I get other fonts not on list? When I updated operating system I lost some of my favorite fonts.

Fonts that I used to use in Pages on older operating system are not available on my new MacBook Air using High Sierra. Is there a way to install them?

MacBook Air, iOS 10.1.1

Posted on Jun 3, 2018 4:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 1:45 PM

Here are the fonts that the operating system installs, but are not in the normal System font search, and will not appear in application font menus. They are located in /Library/Application Support/Apple/Fonts/iWork folder.

User uploaded file User uploaded file

Were any of the fonts that you are now missing among the list above? If so, then follow approach 1 below to regain access to them from your applications. Approach 2 will make the entire folder available to application font menus.

There are two approaches to getting these to appear in your application font menus:

1. Drag and drop the specific font into your local Fonts folder.
    1. Click on your Desktop to make the Finder frontmost, and then press shift+command+G to open the Go To Folder panel. Copy and paste the bold path from above (ending in iWork) into the dialog, and press Go.
    2. Locate the font(s) that you want, and right-click to select the copy clause from the secondary menu.
    3. Press shift+command+G and copy/paste the following path into the dialog.

~/Library/Fonts

4. Within your local library fonts folder, right-click, and select Paste to transfer the selected fonts. These are now available to your application font menus.
  2. Make the .../iWork folder in the first paragraph available to the Font Book application as a new Font Collection.
    1. Open Font Book
    2. In the lower left corner is a '+' symbol that will allow you to add a new unnamed Font Collection when clicked.
      1. Name the new Font Collection, iWork.
      2. Select the new iWork Font Collection icon.
        1. From the Font Book File menu, select Add Fonts…
        2. A File Chooser window will appear, and in the left column under Devices, select your computer name again.
          1. Double-click on the following icons:
            1. Boot drive (e.g. MacIntosh HD)
            2. Library
            3. Application Support
            4. Apple
            5. Fonts
          2. Single-click to select the iWork folder, and then click Open on the dialog.
          3. The fonts will be entered into the iWork Font Collection within Font Book through a validating progress bar panel. A second panel will appear indicating 53 minor problems, but just check the Select all fonts box. Click the Install Checked button.
          4. Any fonts that may be duplicated elsewhere on your machine will be initially set to Off, and once the iWork Font Collection is populated, it is available to all application font menus.
15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 5, 2018 1:45 PM in response to cherylfromblaine

Here are the fonts that the operating system installs, but are not in the normal System font search, and will not appear in application font menus. They are located in /Library/Application Support/Apple/Fonts/iWork folder.

Were any of the fonts that you are now missing among the list above? If so, then follow approach 1 below to regain access to them from your applications. Approach 2 will make the entire folder available to application font menus.

There are two approaches to getting these to appear in your application font menus:

1. Drag and drop the specific font into your local Fonts folder.
    1. Click on your Desktop to make the Finder frontmost, and then press shift+command+G to open the Go To Folder panel. Copy and paste the bold path from above (ending in iWork) into the dialog, and press Go.
    2. Locate the font(s) that you want, and right-click to select the copy clause from the secondary menu.
    3. Press shift+command+G and copy/paste the following path into the dialog.

~/Library/Fonts

4. Within your local library fonts folder, right-click, and select Paste to transfer the selected fonts. These are now available to your application font menus.
  2. Make the .../iWork folder in the first paragraph available to the Font Book application as a new Font Collection.
    1. Open Font Book
    2. In the lower left corner is a '+' symbol that will allow you to add a new unnamed Font Collection when clicked.
      1. Name the new Font Collection, iWork.
      2. Select the new iWork Font Collection icon.
        1. From the Font Book File menu, select Add Fonts…
        2. A File Chooser window will appear, and in the left column under Devices, select your computer name again.
          1. Double-click on the following icons:
            1. Boot drive (e.g. MacIntosh HD)
            2. Library
            3. Application Support
            4. Apple
            5. Fonts
          2. Single-click to select the iWork folder, and then click Open on the dialog.
          3. The fonts will be entered into the iWork Font Collection within Font Book through a validating progress bar panel. A second panel will appear indicating 53 minor problems, but just check the Select all fonts box. Click the Install Checked button.
          4. Any fonts that may be duplicated elsewhere on your machine will be initially set to Off, and once the iWork Font Collection is populated, it is available to all application font menus.

Jun 5, 2018 7:46 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Tom,

The iDVD 7.1.2 updater has a bunch of fonts within the iDVD.app package : Resources : Font folder. Cracked.dfont is among them, along with several that are not installed by the operating system proper.

I used Pacifist to open the .dmg. From there, one can extract just the Cracked.dfont (I prefer the ~/Library/Fonts folder), and then it will appear on application font menus. Here are the fonts in that iDVD updater:

User uploaded file

Jun 4, 2018 6:39 AM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thanks for the tip. I found more fonts there but not the ones I need. I created documents on a different computer and/or in an earlier version of Pages. I would like to edit those without the trouble of replacing headers and body text without something else. These are books with multiple chapters. Is there a way to access them through Apple or install an earlier version of Pages as an alternative? I don’t like the upgrades that drop features I use!

Jun 6, 2018 3:44 AM in response to cherylfromblaine

No. Don't install that Apple iDVD 7.1.2 update. For simplicity, you would be better off getting the Cracked font from the link that Tom provided you earlier.

Pacifist is a third-party application that allows one to look inside installers, extract internal content, and even install from the installer. It would be too difficult to explain how to use it to extract that Cracked font out of the Apple iDVD 7.1.2 updater.

By default, Apple did not install the Cracked font in OS X 10.6.8, 10.7.5, or 10.8.5, and it is reasonable to assume it was not installed in subsequent releases of the operating system.

How can I get other fonts not on list? When I updated operating system I lost some of my favorite fonts.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.