Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

warranty issue at Apple store

This past weekend we took my sons iPhone 8 Plus to a Apple store in STl for a problem with the Taptic Engine. Went to pick up the phone and was told that there was a screw missing due to the phone being opened up before so the warranty was void and they would not fix. I was shocked since the phone was purchased new at a ATT corporate store. The box was sealed and I watched them open it. Asked for the manager who was rude to us causing my wife and 14 yr old son to cry in the store in front of everyone. Made us feel like we were trying to scam Apple. So we left and callwdtier 2 support who told us the store said the tamper proof screws were stripped and they couldn’t get in the phone. Why would they do that? We currently on a iPhone X, a Mac book air, 3 iPads, Apple Watch, iPhone 6s Plus, a working iPhone 8 Plus, a yet to repaired iPhone 8 Plus and iPhone X. Tier 2 support said a Engineer wants pics of the inside so it’ll be yet another 2 hour drive one way to a store I don’t trust anymore. So asked tier 2 support if I could mail it to them. They said they would have to check on that but I haven’t heard back. I’m left with the question why would they do that us and my son? We have been nothing but loyal to them giving them thousands of our hard money

Posted on Jun 4, 2018 7:43 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jun 4, 2018 7:56 PM in response to Coyote12

Well, I can't answer for how you were treated, but if they found that the screws were missing or the threads were stripped, then that would be a valid reason for them to not honor the warranty. Have you contacted the AT&T store where you purchased the device to see if you could find out what may have happened on their end. Just because the box was sealed (even if it was shrink-wrapped) is not a guarantee that the device inside of the box is actually a new device.

Unfortunately, not sure you will get any sort of straightforward answer from AT&T either. Personally, I have not had the best experiences with them. But, you are also dealing with individuals here, who may or may not be reflecting the company's values (think Starbucks).

I would also recommend that you call Apple back to see if you can get some help there. You should have a case number that you can refer to when you call that would provide the history of the events up to this point. If you don't, then I would suggest that ask if you can open a case regarding this issue so you will have a reference point for any future discussions.

I'm sorry that you had such an awful experience, but I can also assure you that there would be no logical reason why the Genius Bar person would make the claim regarding the screws unless that is what they found. Unfortunately, that puts you between a rock and a hard place. 😟

Best of luck,

GB

Jun 4, 2018 8:07 PM in response to gail from maine

Talked to ATT about it, they were very helpful.

They assured me that they do not sell phones they have been returned as new phones. They called Apple for us trying to get us help. I do have a case with Apple, it’s sad cause we did nothing wrong, we just want a phone that works. I really believe the person who was working on the phone messed up and stripped the screws and are trying to cover their butt for their mistake at the expense of my sons phone. Thought Apple as a better company.....

warranty issue at Apple store

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.