Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple ID problem

I initially used my Gmail address as my Apple ID (just a different password at each). This seems to be causing a conflict when Google Calendar attempts to synch with my iCloud calendar. While there may be a better way to solve this problem, my first attempt was to change my Apple ID and use my iCloud email address, however it seems I am not correctly remembering my iCloud address. I get the message: "you can only add the iCloud.com address that is already on file in your account". So far, all guesses have been wrong, resulting the same error message. How can I find the correct iCloud address? I don't use it for anything. Hope someone can help.

Windows 10, iPhone 6s

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 12:32 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 8:02 AM

All I can tell you is what I assume you already know:

If your Apple ID is a third-party email address

Before you change your Apple ID email address, you need to sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID. If you want to use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to change your Apple ID, stay signed in to your Apple ID on just that device.

When you change your Apple ID, you can enter another third-party email address. Or you can enter an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address that's already associated with your account. To see these addresses, check Reachable At in the Account section of appleid.apple.com.

You may just have hit a temporary glitch: or possibly as it's a new account it may take a little time before the facility becomes available.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2018 8:02 AM in response to Steve3737

All I can tell you is what I assume you already know:

If your Apple ID is a third-party email address

Before you change your Apple ID email address, you need to sign out of every Apple service and device that uses your Apple ID. If you want to use your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch to change your Apple ID, stay signed in to your Apple ID on just that device.

When you change your Apple ID, you can enter another third-party email address. Or you can enter an @icloud.com, @me.com, or @mac.com email address that's already associated with your account. To see these addresses, check Reachable At in the Account section of appleid.apple.com.

You may just have hit a temporary glitch: or possibly as it's a new account it may take a little time before the facility becomes available.

Jun 6, 2018 4:29 AM in response to Steve3737

If you sign in at http://www.icloud.com with your Apple ID, click the Mail icon on the start page, then click the cogwheel icon at bottom left and choose Preferences, and in the pane which opens click the 'Accounts' tab, you will see your addresses listed under 'Email address'. If you have created any 'email aliases' these will be listed as such in the left-hand box: you cannot use these.

Jun 6, 2018 7:44 AM in response to Roger Wilmut1

Thanks Roger

It seems that I never established an email account with an iCloud address, so Apple Mail would not open when I clicked on the Mail icon. I have since established an iCloud email account and successfully sent a test email to my Gmail account. Now, when I attempt to change my Apple ID to the new iCloud email account, I get an error message "you cannot change you Apple ID at this time. Try again later".

Apple ID problem

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.