Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I move some of my older photos to an external drive?

I am upgrading to a new MacBook Pro tomorrow, however it has a smaller storage than my current MBP. I currently have a Photos library containing all of my photos since 2011, stored locally on the computer. I have a 1 TB external drive that I would like to store the older photos on, while keeping the newer photos on the hard drive? What is the best way to accomplish this?

MacBook Pro, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.4)

Posted on Jun 5, 2018 8:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 9:30 AM

again

For me the best way is using iCloud Photo Library having at least one Mac with enough to have the originals all downloaded to ti and backed up and and others with less storage using optimized photos

You can duplicate the library on a properly formatted and connected external hard drive -- Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive -- and then delete older folders from the library on the internal drive using he Photos Application (and if desired delete the newer photos from th library on the external drive although I suggest not)

LN

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2018 9:30 AM in response to whammie66

again

For me the best way is using iCloud Photo Library having at least one Mac with enough to have the originals all downloaded to ti and backed up and and others with less storage using optimized photos

You can duplicate the library on a properly formatted and connected external hard drive -- Where is it safe to store a Photos Library? Requirements for the external drive -- and then delete older folders from the library on the internal drive using he Photos Application (and if desired delete the newer photos from th library on the external drive although I suggest not)

LN

Jun 5, 2018 10:51 PM in response to whammie66

Best way? A personal decision

Depending on exactly what you want there are other, less capable ways but to me that is the best

You can archive the library

You can export selected photos

and so on

LN

Jun 6, 2018 7:19 AM in response to LarryHN

I agree, having all of the photos in a Photos library, stored locally on my MacBook would be ideal. However the MBP I am getting has only 256 GB storage, much less than my current MBP from 2012. I want to somehow divide the Photos library, keep storing the newer photos on my computer and the older photos on the external drive. I want to make sure that I don’t corrupt the library or accidentally delete any photos. Also I want to lose the organization or any editing I hav done.

How do I move some of my older photos to an external drive?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.