Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Trust this browser? If you choose to trust this browser, you will not be asked for a verification code the next time you sign in.

"Trust this browser? If you choose to trust this browser, you will not be asked for a verification code the next time you sign in."

Not a huge deal, but every time I log into iCloud from my MBP or iMac, I get this message. I say "Trust" and a 2 factor code is then sent directly to the browser. I enter the code and I then can access iCloud.

But two questions:

1. Why do I have to do this every time? It says that I will not be asked for a verification code the next time I sign in, but it always asks me again and again.
  2. What is the extra security in sending the verification code directly to the browser? I could maybe see enhanced security if the code was sent to my iPhone, but sending the security code directly to the same browser seems kind of silly if I were nefariously trying to access iCloud from this browser.

Thank you very much!

• Mac OS: High Sierra 10.13.4
  • Safari: 11.1
  • iMac: Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2014
  • Mac Book Pro: Retina 13" Early 2015

macOS High Sierra (10.13)

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 5:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 6, 2018 3:44 PM

Why do I have to do this every time?

You shouldn't. Do you have cookies disabled. I'm pretty sure it uses them to remember your choices.

What is the extra security in sending the verification code directly to the browser?

It doesn't send it to the browser, per se, it sends it to all of your trusted devices. If you are using a browser on a trusted device, it will show up there.

If you attempt to log into your iCloud account from a non-trusted device, you won't see the code on that device. You'll have to get it from one of your other trusted devices.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 6, 2018 3:44 PM in response to CharPatton

Why do I have to do this every time?

You shouldn't. Do you have cookies disabled. I'm pretty sure it uses them to remember your choices.

What is the extra security in sending the verification code directly to the browser?

It doesn't send it to the browser, per se, it sends it to all of your trusted devices. If you are using a browser on a trusted device, it will show up there.

If you attempt to log into your iCloud account from a non-trusted device, you won't see the code on that device. You'll have to get it from one of your other trusted devices.

Trust this browser? If you choose to trust this browser, you will not be asked for a verification code the next time you sign in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.