Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My emails (Gmail) won't send in Safari any more

My emails (Gmail) won't send in Safari (9.1.2) any more. Suddenly after always working normally, pressing the send button produces no effect. Everything works normally doing the same thing in Google Chrome.

Any ideas?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2018 10:42 PM

I think Google made some recent changes and since you are using an older version of Safari, perhaps it isn't able to handle the changes.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. Please post if this worked or not.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. Please post if this worked or not.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2018 10:42 PM in response to Just me then

I think Google made some recent changes and since you are using an older version of Safari, perhaps it isn't able to handle the changes.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later. Please post if this worked or not.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer or by using the developer’s uninstall instructions. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once. Please post if this worked or not.

Safe Mode

Safe Mode - Mavericks

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode - Yosemite

Safe Mode - About

Safe Mode Startup – El Capitan. also Sierra

If it works in the Safe Mode, try running this program when booted normally and then copy and paste the output in a reply. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown. You can run the report for free at least once, but if you run it several times, at some point it will ask you to pay a license fee.

Etrecheck – System Information

Jun 9, 2018 10:51 PM in response to Eric Root

Many thanks for your very detailed answer, and my apologies for a slow reply. I will try the remedial process you have suggested, when I have time. The problem is that these things usually occur just when you don't have time, for one reason or another. If a change from Google is the likely reason, combined with an older version of Safari, the problem is I wanted to upgrade just Safari, but it seems you have to upgrade you whole OS to get the latest Safari, and I'm not sure I want to do that, because every new operating system seems to open up another can of worms, and the loss of familiar features.

Jun 11, 2018 10:52 PM in response to Just me then

Can confirm that this issue is a mis-match between Safari 9.1.2 (and presumably earlier versions) and the Gmail online portal. Had a customer come in with this issue just yesterday and have had a good run at it (emptied all caches / disabled all plugins / checked no extensions clouding the issue etc. But in a clean account or when booted in Safe Mode - symtoms persist. Gmail site works as normal on her Chrome install, her Firefox install (even though both are out of date too!) but in Safari no dice.

Symptoms are that when "Send" is clicked after composing mail - it automatically sends the message being sent to Drafts but the message window does not dismiss as per normal behaviour.

Jun 11, 2018 11:21 PM in response to AlbaMacNZ

Thank you AlbaMacNZ. Does this problem go away with the latest version of Safari, (ie to get the latest OSX), does anyone know? Or should I do what I'm doing now, which is using Safari, because I generally prefer the interface, to get the email in the drafts box, and then going over to Chrome to actually send the bloody thing!

By the way, this is an issue that has only started literally within the last few days. Prior to that everything worked normally. Can anyone identify some change within the last few days either to Safari, or to Gmail which might have caused this to start happening? Is it even something Apple are doing on purpose, (or is that cynical 😕)

Jun 11, 2018 11:56 PM in response to Just me then

I've just done what I should have done in the first place which is to go to Google help, and discovered that this is a known Google issue for which, they say, they are trying to create a patch, adding that this would only work temporarily anyway, as soon Safari 9 won't be supported at all. Apologies to Apple for my cynical suggestion in my last post (but there was that business with slowing down the older iPhones, etc., so it does engender suspicion)

So upgrading seems to be the only solution.

My emails (Gmail) won't send in Safari any more

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.