Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 11.4 another battery drain. Apple is shipping faulty products

iOS 11.4 is draining my iPad 2017 battery enormously. With normal browsing I need to recharge within 4 hours!!!

iPad Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 5:42 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 8, 2018 11:35 AM

while implicitly implying I as a user am at fault for not having done something myself, you sir are not helpful at all.

way back in the days of windows 95 the best solution to a clogged computer was to give it a clean install. Having done that many times I switched to Apple. In the hope I didnt need to give my computer or laptop a full clean install every time a os upgrade comes along. Way before the iPod, that age.

Nowadays, every time iOS is getting a version update I need to give my iPad and iPhone a clean install to solve battery issues?!

to answer your question. I gave it a full clean install starting from factory settings. battery problem still exists. Now what is the next step?

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 8, 2018 11:35 AM in response to MichelPM

while implicitly implying I as a user am at fault for not having done something myself, you sir are not helpful at all.

way back in the days of windows 95 the best solution to a clogged computer was to give it a clean install. Having done that many times I switched to Apple. In the hope I didnt need to give my computer or laptop a full clean install every time a os upgrade comes along. Way before the iPod, that age.

Nowadays, every time iOS is getting a version update I need to give my iPad and iPhone a clean install to solve battery issues?!

to answer your question. I gave it a full clean install starting from factory settings. battery problem still exists. Now what is the next step?

Jun 8, 2018 12:05 PM in response to Beneficial88

You do not have to do a complete restore of an iOS device, per se, every time something is not working correctly.

Have you taken the usual battery saving steps to improve your iPad’s battery life?

How much free data storage space is left on your iPad?

iDevices need to maintain, at least, 3 GBs, OR GREATER, of free data storage space.

Have you tried reducing the screen brightness to a lower, but still comfortable intensity?

In Settings app, General settings panel, turn OFF Background App Refresh for any apps you feel do not need constant data updating/Internet updating in the background when not using the an app OR turn OFF Background App Refresh entirely/globally for the entire device.

Do the same in the Settings app under Notifications.Turn off notifications for apps you do not think you need notifications for and/or edit the different ways you receive notifications to help with performance by not always using all the notification methods together.

In Settings app under Mail, you may want to set a longer fetch time or set your iOS Mail app to only manually fetch your mail ONLY when you launch the iOS Mail app.

In Settings app, under General settings, Reset panel, at the right bottom of the list, Reset All Settings.

In Settings app (NOT from the iOS Control Panel) turn OFF Bluetooth when not using any Bluetooth devices.

There is still an iOS bug that affects turning ON/OFF both Bluetooth and WiFi under the iOS Control Panel.

Also, in general, if you want a faster IDevice, on all of my iDevices, I turn off most of the iOS motion graphics eye candy, by simply turning ON Reduce Motion in Settings app, General, Accessibilty settings.

Make sure you aren't running 20 to 50 OR A WHOLE LOT MORE background apps in the iOS 11 Control Panel/App Switcher.

If you are, you need to quit the bulk of these background running apps by tap and hold a finger on an app window in the switcher and slide your finger upwards to quit an app. You should be able to use more than one finger to quit more than one app window simultaneously.

Also, make sure you don’t have 20 OR A WHOLE LOT MORE of active website tabs running in the web browser.

If you do, greatly reduce the amount of active website tabs your web browser.

Some minority of user have been turning ON and leaving ON iCloud backups continuously backing up on a constant and daily basis.

If you are one of these users, in Settings App, tap your Apple ID, then tap iCloud, then find iCloud backup and turn off iCloud backup and only turn this on to do daily backups either when you are not using your iPad for a prolonged period of time (like when you are sleeping), then turn iCloud backups OFF when actually using your iPad.

OR

Only perform your backups on a lesser time schedule.( like twice a week, once a week, once every two weeks, once a month, etc.).

Any large amount of background running apps or active processes that have to constantly go out to the Web to fetch data ALL THE TIME is going to slow down ANY iDevice.

Good Luck to You!

Jun 8, 2018 1:47 PM in response to MichelPM

Thank you for your elaborate list of user adjustment. Let me beforehand say that while very helpful they don’t solve Apple’s battery drain problem. You will understand shortly.

How much free data storage space is left on your iPad?

A:I have a 128gb iPad. 60gb available.

Screen brightness

A:Is always on 50% without auto adjust

Background App refresh

A:it’s off

Notifications

A: completely off. I don’t use this

Mail push/fetch

A: manual only.

Reset general

A: done while coming from factory settings

Bluetooth

A: completely off

WiFi

A: I turn it off completely when leaving home

Eye Candy

A: everything is turned off (reduce motion on)

Simultaneously Apps running

A: max 6 or so with me removing them from background whenever I start a new activity on my iPad.

Website tabs

A:I empty safari tabs when I am done with a page.

iCloud backup

A: it’s doing backup only at night.

I am already doing all the things you advised. The problem remains standing. Before the iOS update I didn’t have a battery drain issue. Now I do. Apple’s turn to solve this.

iOS 11.4 another battery drain. Apple is shipping faulty products

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.