Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clean Install Mac 10.4

I would like to clean install Mac 10.4 to remove all the rubbish on my computer.
How do I go about this.
Richard

G4, Mac OS X (10.4.8)

Posted on Feb 3, 2007 10:58 PM

15 replies

Feb 4, 2007 9:49 AM in response to Forrest Jerome1

First, regardless the install or re-install method chosen you should create or update your backup of all important data immediately beforehand.

If you don't select Preserve User and Network settings, your existing data should remain in the archived previous system folder which you must transfer to the new system.

The Archive & Install method installs the OS completely new and when selecting preserve user and network settings, all user and network settings, user data and 3rd party applications are transferred to the new system.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/archiveinstall.html

Since performing an A&E or E&I should be used as a final last resort, what is the problem?

Feb 4, 2007 10:02 AM in response to Forrest Jerome1

does an archive and install preserve iTunes and iPhoto data or do you have to select The Preserve Users and Network Settings option for this to happen.

The archive and install will place the current system into a previous system folder replacing it with the newly installed system files. To preserve personal data/files you'll need to have checked the Preserve Users and Network Settings. make certain you have a reasonable amount of free disk space on your HD (exact amount varies depending on the current state of your system and size of HD vol) if you are going down the archive and install route (over an archive and erase), then, I, myself, would not perform one without having a working backup image of my HD.

the problem i am looking to eliminate is somehow connected to one user account. if i select Preserve Users and Network Settings, i will likely be preserving the problem, right?

Yes. So if you are not going to check the Preserve Users and Network Settings option, then it's essential to have a working backup of your itunes/ iphoto and other critical data.

Feb 4, 2007 10:07 AM in response to Allan Sampson

i have SnapZ Pro X. it is crashing everytime i invoke and then try to use it. the process (which normally is always running) quits. it works fine on a test user account. this started only recently, but i cannot connect it to any software changes. Ambrosia is unable to determine exactly what is happening.

since migrating to my macpro (and SnapZ Pro X was working after the migration), i sometimes have times where the machine becomes sluggish: menu drop downs hesistate before dropping down (click does not provide immediate drop down) and typing lags behind keystrokes (in Mail for instance).

restarting usually causes this to go away.

i figure i have something in there that i can't detect that may be a holdover from the past. i think when i go to leopard, i will do archive and install, but want to do it cleanly and then reinstall third party apps (hopefully i will be able to locate all those install cd's and serial numbers).

i want to be aware of everything i need to in order to have a successful plan.

what do i do about Address Book data? is it preserved with archive and install or does it need the "preserve" option selected? where is that data kept? what other "gotcha's" are lurking that i may not be aware of?

Feb 4, 2007 10:36 AM in response to Forrest Jerome1

Are you using version 2.0.3?

Have you tried using the uninstall feature and then re-installing the application?

Have you tried targeting the Snapz Pro X preference file?

Regarding the sluggish system and other problems, check this link for system troubleshooting procedures and when doing so, follow all steps/instructions in the order provided.

http://www.thexlab.com/faqs/repairprocess.html

Nothing is preserved and transferred to the new system using the A&I method when not selecting preserve user and network settings.

Address Book data is stored in the AddressBook folder located at Home > Library > Application Support > AddressBook.

To create an Address Book backup file, at the Address Book menu bar go to File and select Back up Address Book. The default name of the backup file is Address Book - (and today's date).

To recover ALL contacts from this backup file if needed, at the Address Book menu bar go to File and select Revert to Address Book Backup selecting the backup file created.

The link I provided in my previous post should give you all the answers you need regarding the A&I method.

Feb 5, 2007 4:01 AM in response to Richard. B Mann

If you want to install OS 9 so the Mac can boot from it, not just use it as Classic, you have to boot from the OS 9 install CD. You do not have to erase the hard drive (unless OS 9 drivers were not installed on it), so OSX can be on the hard drive, and will not be affected. After installing and booting OS 9, use the OS 9 Software Update control panel to bring it up to version 9.2.2 before using it as Classic with OSX.

Clean Install Mac 10.4

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.