Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Charging

My IPhone takes too long time to reach full charge from 84% ... Why this is happening ?!

iPhone 8 Plus, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 1:56 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 11, 2018 2:19 PM

How long is "too long"? The charging rate inherently slows down once it reaches 80%. I can be more noticeable if you use a more powerful power adapter, as it may charge quickly to 80% before the charge rate is severely reduced. It's needed for various safety/longevity reasons.

Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

It charges fast for convenience and slow for longevity.

Your Apple lithium-ion battery uses fast charging to quickly reach 80% of its capacity, then switches to slower trickle charging. The amount of time it takes to reach that first 80% will vary depending on your settings and which device you’re charging. Software may limit charging above 80% when the recommended battery temperatures are exceeded. This combined process not only lets you get out and about sooner, it also extends the lifespan of your battery.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 11, 2018 2:19 PM in response to Elleathy47

How long is "too long"? The charging rate inherently slows down once it reaches 80%. I can be more noticeable if you use a more powerful power adapter, as it may charge quickly to 80% before the charge rate is severely reduced. It's needed for various safety/longevity reasons.

Batteries - Why Lithium-ion? - Apple

It charges fast for convenience and slow for longevity.

Your Apple lithium-ion battery uses fast charging to quickly reach 80% of its capacity, then switches to slower trickle charging. The amount of time it takes to reach that first 80% will vary depending on your settings and which device you’re charging. Software may limit charging above 80% when the recommended battery temperatures are exceeded. This combined process not only lets you get out and about sooner, it also extends the lifespan of your battery.

Charging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.