Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In iOS 11, with Guided Access ON, the device is NOT going to sleep. Any ideas?

iPad Air 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 3:22 PM

12 replies

Jun 15, 2018 12:12 PM in response to JoshsmomPam

Hey JoshsmomPam!

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities. If your iPad isn't going to sleep with Guided Access enabled, there's a good chance you have the option to allow sleep during a session disabled. Check this out:

Set up Guided Access

Tap Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access to set up Guided Access. From there, here's what you can do:

• Turn Guided Access on or off
  • Set a passcode that controls the use of Guided Access and prevents someone from leaving an active session
  • Set whether the device can go to sleep during a session

Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch

Let me know how that works out for you. If that doesn't fix the problem, I'd be happy to keep looking into this with you.

Cheers!

Jun 21, 2018 1:29 PM in response to JoshsmomPam

None of the responses here help.

I have a disabled son who is nonverbal, and uses an app on an iPad mini to communicate. We have a dedicated device that he uses for only for communication purposes, and we keep it locked on his speech app using guided access.

Since we installed 11.4, his battery keeps dying, because the device no longer goes into sleep mode. Needless to say, it's very important for his device to be available to him, as it's the only method of communication he has.

Hopefully, this will be fixed in the next release?

Jul 9, 2018 2:34 PM in response to ChrisanneW

This is an iOS bug. I have submitted a report to apple support (calling in) which has sent it up the chain, but I was recommended to have others report this as well since they pay attention if the group of users affected is larger. This bug has been tested on an iphone, ipadmini and ipad pro on various applications... it is an iOS bug. I did download the recent public beta and at least now the screen dims at the minute marker you set for auto lock so the battery lasts a little longer (before the screen would just flicker). But I too was disappointed when it stopped working. My son uses his iPad as his voice since he is non verbal. The ipad charge would last 2-3 days before. Now it just gets to the end of the day. For us considering it's his voice, it is a safety issue. What happens if his battery runs out and he can't ask for help? Please do call in to apple support and get it reported. Considering this is a feature that they get a lot of distance in marketing to special populations and children, you would think they would make sure this runs well ... especially with all their battery life issues. This is a battery life issue as far as I am concerned.

Jul 12, 2018 9:55 AM in response to betiux

I have posted in another thread but I too have encountered this following the update to iOS 11.4 and was on the phone for a couple hours yesterday with Apple support with regard to getting a solution. I usually shy away from any updates on my ipad as it is only used for 1 single function; home automation app locked into guided access but for some reason I updated and now am facing this issue. After much back-and-forth troubleshooting, I was advised to erase and install a clean installation of 11.4.1 but after the entire process of doing this, still was faced with the issue. My next support call resulted in the technician actually testing guided access on her ipad and she too faced this issue. After further research on her part, she found that it has been documented as a bug to be addressed in the next iOS update but there is no update to the timeframe this will occur. This is a very frustrating and obvious bug to plague iOS and am seeing much more of this occurring as they continue to update/upgrade/fix iOS and MacOS.

Aug 8, 2018 11:19 AM in response to JoshsmomPam

Just for whom ever has an iPhone 8+ stuck in Guided Access and pressing home button 3x , or pressing Sleep Wake button along with Home Button >15 seconds does absolutely nothing.

Just got off phone with Apple and sequence to fix which was nowhere to be found, besides phone call, Press Volume up , release then Volume down , release then press Home Button- bingo!!! Hope helps someone besides m

Aug 8, 2018 1:20 PM in response to n_sievers

I am having the same issue with my sons iPads and speech software (twin sons so we have 2 iPads with speech software). The sleep option is not available under guided access settings as stated in their online help replies. I just updated to iOS 11.4.1 on one iPad hoping the update would fix the issue but no luck. Sleep works correctly when not in guided access mode. Any updates on a fix timeframe - hopefully we are not waiting on iOS 12?

Aug 8, 2018 1:25 PM in response to Everett12345678910

I made a follow-up call to Apple last week as I had not heard from them regarding any updates. They advised me that someone would be reaching out to me for an update but a week has gone by now and have gotten no response. It is getting very frustrating that I have now been unable to use my iPads for the sole purpose that I have them for about a month now..... I will be calling again today as crippling a key feature for such a long period of time is unacceptable to me.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.