Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Macbook Pro Keyboard is Ruining My Life

Here is my Apple Macbook Keyboard Horror Story: Please share and distribute this as far and wide as possible. If you are having the same issue please get in touch. I recently had a horrible customer service experience with my local Apple Store and want to see if a representative from Apple computer will get in touch and help to resolve my issue. The following took at the Albuquerque Uptown Apple Store. The "Genius" and the "Manager" I dealt with (who shall go unnamed to minimize their personal shaming) are both classic Apple robots. They are unable, unwilling or simple too cowed by their Imperial Apple Overlords to think for themselves or understand that customer service might require them to consider deviating from the strict edicts laid down by a management structure too arrogant and full of themselves to consider any possibility that Apple could have made a mistake.

Here are the details: I purchased a top-of-the-line Macbook Pro in late 2016 that cost me over $2500. This was not my first high end Macbook Pro, in fact, it was my third. This was a brand new version of this venerated product and the first version to include the touch bar (a very elegant addition) along with a brand new keyboard design touted by Jonathan Ive, Apple Chief of Design, in their very well produced product launch video to be the most responsive and thinnest every produced. Unfortunately, this very thin keyboard has turned out to be one of the worst design mistakes in Apple history. The keyboard itself is piece of crap and if a single piece of dust gets inside any of the keys they will no longer work. And, as you might have guessed, the key most likely to stop working is (big surprise) the space bar. In fact, while writing this tirade the space bar has not worked about a dozen times forcing me to go back and include the missing space. This does not make for a pleasant computing experience and is totally exasperating and does not improve one’s mood. This keyboard issue is so widespread that a simple internet search for “Apple Butterfly Keyboard” will uncover thousands of complaints, videos, blog entries, and news reports about this problem. This keyboard debacle has even generated 3 separate class action lawsuits now winding their way through the legal system. I brought my high end Macbook Pro with a faulty keyboard and intermittent spacebar to the Genius bar of the Albuquerque Uptown Apple Store. First off, the “Genius” had never heard of this issue and when I suggested he do an Internet search he looked at me aghast and stated he could not perform this act of sacrilege. My mention of class action lawsuits could likewise not be tolerated by this disciple and I was likewise cautioned that any further mention of these legal actions could lead to a dismissal of my person from the Apple store. After a brief conversation I was offered a repair of my laptop with a faulty keyboard with a new replacement keyboard that contains the exact same faulty design. I pointed out that this made no sense given the undisputed proof that this keyboard does not work and is faulty. This was all that was available but would, of course, require that I leave my tainted computer with him. I then politely asked for a loaner computer so that I could continue with my business while my computer was being “repaired.” I was told this was not possible as I was not a member of the Apple Joint Venture program that I had never heard of and that costs $500 per year. I pointed out that since the fault was with Apple for putting a faulty keyboard in my laptop perhaps an exception could be made and I could receive special dispensation to be provided with a loaner. This deviation from standard operating Apple principles turned out to be above the paygrade of mere Apple “Genius” and a Apple Store “Manager”would be required for such an out-of-the-box decision to be made. The “Manager” was summoned and listened to my situation again being certain not to do any Internet research about faulty keyboard designs or listen to any blasphemous mention of lawsuits. Again, providing a loaner laptop was not appropriate without the Joint Venture program that costs $500 a year. He agreed to consult with other “Managers” to see if my unusual request for a loaner computer could be granted. After about 10 minutes the “Genius” returned and reported that the Conclave of the “Managers” could not grant my request. One possible solution was that I could purchase another brand new computer to use while my faulty computer was being repaired. As you can imagine after this suggestion was proffered my frustration level was at the boiling point. I walked out of that store with my head held high and my $2500 top-of-the-line non-working faulty keyboard Macbook Pro. I would appreciate any person who sees this message to share and distribute it as far and as wide as possible. For the record, I love Apple products and have been a lifelong customer. This keyboard design mistake was just that, a mistake. But it does need to be addressed and solved for those of us who ended up with this problem in a manner appropriate to the most valuable, richest company the world has ever known. Additionally, Apple Store personnel must be given latitude to actually provide customer service not just lip service and strict adherence to outmoded and unworkable solutions. Despite my bad experience, I am hopeful that an Apple representative will get in touch and resolve this issue very soon.

MacBook Pro (13-inch, Late 2016, 4 TBT3), iOS 11.4, null

Posted on Jun 13, 2018 2:58 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Macbook Pro Keyboard is Ruining My Life

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.