Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Browsing a full disk image

Hi

This has to be a common problem, but maybe I can't find prior examples because I'm using different language! 😝

I have a disk image (.dmg) on an external hard drive that I want to browse. It is an entire drive of some 220GB which I created using diskutil, after a HDD corruption. My TimeMachine backup isn't as recent, so having restored from Time Machine my task is to fill in the gaps from the .dmg. Note, I couldn't restore from the .dmg itself as for some reason it made the new drive non-bootable (most likely the image copied the corruption and - guess what - the corrupted HDD wasn't bootable. All good fun! 😉).

Two questions therefore:

1. How do I browse the .dmg? I believe that like all .dmg files, if I double click it expands out to occupy new storage (like a zip file) - and you get no option as to where the files are deposited. On the disk it occupies, there is no space for this operation.
  2. How do I carry out (potentially automate) the task of filling in most recent files - and not just for my account but for the other Mac user accounts?

Many thanks

Matt

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 15, 2018 10:56 PM

Similar questions

2 replies

Jun 16, 2018 7:00 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Thank you Luis,

From your response, I deduced that a .dmg does not therefore expand out and occupy additional disk space as I had thought. I didn't even try double clicking before, as I had assumed I'd run out of disk space (and potential crash my backup). So, armed with your brief but incisive response, I went ahead and now I'm in great shape with it!

Thanks again

Matt

Browsing a full disk image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.