Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple HDD Uninitialized

okay where do I begin. Last week my Mac started have issues. Upon boot up it would show a gray screen with a circle and a slash through it 🚫

throuGh my research I was told that I should re install my operating system However when I booted into my macOS Utilities and tried to install the OS it just wouldn’t load. I decided to creat a bootable USB drive using my girlfriends computer. This wokred and got me a little farther ahead. Now I could get to the install section but when it asked to chose a disk where I wanted to install the OS my HD wasn’t there just my USB drive containg the OS itself (check first picture) after researching more I was told that this is due to my HDD not being partitioned probably and that I should erase and re install it (I have nothing my Mac that needed saving) so I went ahead and erased the partition. This leads me to the issue I’m having now when I load up disk utility and select the HDD The section to add a partition is grayed out and it says Uninitialized. (Refer to pic 2) the Last thing I tried was erasing that drive and creatomg a new partition but it it just sat on the erasing tab for a very long time without moving. I’m lost at what to try next anyhelp would be greatly appreciated

ps. I just noticed it says partition map not supported down at the bottom

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

Posted on Jun 16, 2018 8:23 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 6:24 AM

The advice to "partition" was probably just bad wording.

You need to Erase the drive and reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Since the drive has no partition table at all (as far as the Mac can discern), you must erase it to create the partition table before you could partition it.

There may be a problem with that drive.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 17, 2018 6:24 AM in response to Anthonync94

The advice to "partition" was probably just bad wording.

You need to Erase the drive and reformat it as Mac OS Extended (Journaled).

Since the drive has no partition table at all (as far as the Mac can discern), you must erase it to create the partition table before you could partition it.

There may be a problem with that drive.

Jun 17, 2018 8:33 AM in response to Anthonync94

I think my drive might be bad. It won’t let me erase the HDD it just won’t load when I try and this is what it says under the information tab on the hard drive

That's what it sounds like. Take the opportunity to replace it with an SSD. It's amazing how much faster it is.

OWC (macsales.com) makes some good ones specifically for Macs, with installation instructions and tools. Some Macs are more difficult than others, but if you are anywhere handy with tools, you can probably do it yourself.

Apple HDD Uninitialized

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.