You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Reading .sav files

Hello, everyone. I'm surmising that this topic may not pertain to this area of the forum, but I know not where else to post it (any redirection suggestions would be appreciated).

I have a file that ends in ".sav"

What on earth do I do to be able to READ the contents of this file? What should I convert it to? How should I convert it?

Any help, again, would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you everyone in advance,
Javier Calderon

Macintosh Dual 2 Gig G5, Mac OS X (10.4.7)

Posted on Feb 4, 2007 5:20 PM

8 replies

Feb 4, 2007 7:22 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Thank you both allan and tom for the prompt responses. Here's the basic scenario: My girlfriend needs to read a file for one of her school classes (research statistics). The website where the file is has all the files in .sav format. I believe the content of the file is text and possibly some photos. I downloaded the file from the university website where it is located. Tom, is the paralells in my mac (dual 2 Gig G5), or does it need to be purchased sepearately?

Thank you both again.
Javier

Feb 4, 2007 7:26 PM in response to Javier72

(research statistics). The website where the file is
has all the files in .sav format.

These are files produced by the SPSS program. You would normally use that to open them I imagine:

http://www.spss.com/spss_mac/

I think it may not run on intel macs.

Tom, is the paralells in my
mac (dual 2 Gig G5), or does it need to be purchased
sepearately?

Parallels is not relevant to your problem. It's a special program you purchase separately in order to run Windows on your Mac.

Feb 4, 2007 7:33 PM in response to Javier72

Wo! 619!? So SPSS is one of the only manners to
read .sav files on a mac??

That seems like a pretty dire situation if that is
indeed the case.

Isn't having this program via one means or another, presumably not a full retail purchase, part of the course requirements? I think at some schools students can download it for free, or buy it at a very reduced price ($75 I saw at one place).

Feb 4, 2007 7:37 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

I believe that might be the case, Tom. Perhaps the school library or something of the sort has it. Opening the file was originally attempted on my girlfriend's pc. When that proved unsuccessful, she petitioned me and now I'm making an attempt to open it on my mac. At least knowing about SPSS seems to move things in a more promising direction. I'll certainly make mention of this to her and suggest that she investigate at the school.

Reading .sav files

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.