Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why use Apple Pay when you have to get your card out to look at CCV?

iPhone X, iOS 11.4, Apple Pay

Posted on Jun 17, 2018 7:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 18, 2018 7:17 PM

That’s the whole point, watch for attempts to skim the card number and other details when the merchant says he must hold the card to inspect and read the cvv himself. Card fraud is becoming more difficult, they are always looking for new methods and with more contactless cards appearing it is easy to read the chip without looking suspicious. At least with Apple Pay the device needs a deliberate human action to become active and release its details.

The cvv only applies to the plastic card, it has no relevance and doesn’t exist for Apple Pay. Even the device account number last 4 appears to be inaccessible on Apple Watch, until the transaction record is printed by which time it is too late to refuse the transaction.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 18, 2018 7:17 PM in response to Phil0124

That’s the whole point, watch for attempts to skim the card number and other details when the merchant says he must hold the card to inspect and read the cvv himself. Card fraud is becoming more difficult, they are always looking for new methods and with more contactless cards appearing it is easy to read the chip without looking suspicious. At least with Apple Pay the device needs a deliberate human action to become active and release its details.

The cvv only applies to the plastic card, it has no relevance and doesn’t exist for Apple Pay. Even the device account number last 4 appears to be inaccessible on Apple Watch, until the transaction record is printed by which time it is too late to refuse the transaction.

Jun 18, 2018 8:29 PM in response to Branta_uk

Branta_uk wrote:

That’s the whole point, watch for attempts to skim the card number and other details when the merchant says he must hold the card to inspect and read the cvv himself.

The Merchant should never ask for the actual card during an Apple Pay transaction. At least I've never heard of any that do that. And there's no reason for them to have to handle the card at all.

With Apple Pay, the physical card does not even need to be present. I can take my iPhone and pay at the corner store for groceries, and my card never left my house. They may want a CVV or a Device ID number which can be found in the Wallet App. But should not need it. If they require anything other than the iPhone for the transaction to pass, and you don't provide it, the transaction will be declined.

The only other thing they may require is a PIN number if your card has a chip, and is protected by one.

Using Apple Pay in stores, within apps, and on the web - Apple Support

Jun 18, 2018 8:28 PM in response to susanfromblanchard

There are certain merchants that require the CVV. It's not really in Apple's control whether a merchant requires it. The system is set up to not require it and most merchants do not.

Still some may ask for it for confirmation. Its known to happen. Many times its not actually the CVV they need but the last 4 numbers of the Device Account Number.

Not sure how someone could commit fraud with only 3 digits, and no access to an actual card number. Merchants never see the card number being used for the payment.

Jun 19, 2018 3:07 AM in response to Phil0124

@Phil0124 exactly as I understand it, I’m with you 100% on this. Going one stage further, if the merchant refuses to process Apple pay without the card and cvv something smells rotten about the process. The only potential issue from the Apple Pay side might be an obsolete terminal on a transaction with higher value than its contactless limit, in which case it has to be made entirely with the card and Apple Pay is not used at all. This limit is fixed by software update on the merchant terminal, so it is getting less common and Apple Pay is more or less limitless.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.