Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to archive mail with Mail.app?

Want I want to do:
When new non-junk mail comes in, make a copy of it in the "Archive" mailbox and set that copy as read.

It's not working:
There is no "Message is not Junk Mail" rule, the "Mark as read" action marks both the Archived and Inbox versions as read, and GrowlMail alarms twice. =(

How do people keep copies of their mail with Mail.app? If there's another "Mac-ish" way to do it please let me know.

Mac OS X (10.4.8), Mail Version 2.1.1 (752.3)

Posted on Feb 5, 2007 7:00 AM

5 replies

Feb 5, 2007 9:22 AM in response to p_r_o_c_k

Instead of archiving all your mail in a single “Archive” mailbox, you could create multiple mailboxes for different topics, route incoming mail there according to some criteria that junk mail wouldn’t satisfy (such as who sent them), and manually move to the appropriate mailbox any messages that remain in Inbox.

There is no need to copy the messages instead of moving them, nor to mark them unread. You can just move your mail wherever you want it to be permanently stored and set up a smart mailbox that shows unread messages only.

And if you really want the junk filter to be evaluated first instead of last, go to Preferences > Junk Mail > Advanced, take note of how the junk filter rule is defined (you can make a screen shot of it), set up a custom rule that does exactly the same, and place it above the other rules. Assuming the junk filter is in Automatic mode (i.e. junk mail is moved to Junk), all incoming messages that don't satisfy the criteria of this rule (i.e. that aren’t junk) will be processed by the rest of the rules.

Feb 5, 2007 9:38 AM in response to David Gimeno Gost

Thanks I'll give this a try.

It sounds like it will work ok except for one thing (described below). I can just look at the "Unread" smart mailbox. I think I didn't try this before because I assumed that as soon as I clicked on the unread mail to read it would disappear from the smart mailbox and I didn't want that to happen. What determines the update of a "Smart Mailbox"? Do I need to click away and click back?

I'm moving to Mail.app from GMail, and I like to treat my inbox as my TODO list and delete emails as I respond/resolve whatever they were about. I can do as you say and after my emails from mailing lists are routed into appropriate folders put the rest into "Inbox" and continue to treat that as my TODO but then how do you suggest I indicate that I've completed/resolved an email/TODO item?

Feb 5, 2007 10:08 AM in response to p_r_o_c_k

You’re welcome.
What determines the update of a "Smart Mailbox"?
Do I need to click away and click back?

Yes, you must do something like that for messages to disappear from the smart mailbox after reading them, but you don’t have to click on another mailbox if you don’t want to. You can just Command-click (⌘-click) on the smart mailbox to unselect it, then click on it again.

Note also that newly arrived messages will show up in the smart mailbox automatically without you having to do anything.
how do you suggest I indicate that I've completed/resolved
an email/TODO item?

Well, I guess you’ll have to change habits and decide for each message whether you want to keep it or not. If you want to keep it, either do nothing if it’s already in the appropriate mailbox, or manually move it to the appropriate mailbox if it isn’t.

It may take some time getting used to it and you may end up accidentally deleting some messages, so make sure you choose the right Preferences > Accounts > Mailbox Behaviors > Trash settings... 🙂

How to archive mail with Mail.app?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.