Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why is my old iphoto library can't be opened in Photos?

The application keep prompting me to make more storage space in my macbook (it asks for 124 GB space) when my iPhoto library is lovated in an external Hard Disk. I don't understand why Photos insisting on moving the library to my macbook Hard Disk. Any answers will be most welcomed.

I'd think Apple would provide a smooth path of data migration from iPhotos to Photos.

iPad, iOS 5.0.1

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 3:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 10:50 PM

This is the format of the external Hard Disk MS-DOS (FAT32).

That's the problem. The library must be on a disk formatted Mac OS Extended. Move it to a correctly formatted disk and you should have no problems.

7 replies

Jun 21, 2018 8:43 AM in response to barry237

I don't understand why Photos insisting on moving the library to my macbook Hard Disk. Any answers will be most welcomed.

Photos will create the new Photos library usually on the drive, where the original iPhoto library resides, provided, that the drive is compatible with Photos. Otherwise the new library will be created in your Pictures folder on the system drive.

• The drive must not be used for Time Machine backups.
  • The filesystem format needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS
  • The drive must have a wired connection and not be a network share or a cloud storage.

Jun 21, 2018 9:49 PM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thank you for the reply.

• The drive must not be used for Time Machine backups. The external HD is not used for Time Machine backups
  • The filesystem format needs to be MacOS Extended (Journaled) or APFS. The format is MS-DOS (FAT32), is this the problem?
  • The drive must have a wired connection and not be a network share or a cloud storage. Yes the external HD is a wired connection.

Jun 21, 2018 9:46 PM in response to Yer_Man

Terence Devlin wrote:

There's a ridiculously smooth path to migrate: Open the iPhoto Library with Photos. Done.

As for your query: details:

The application keep prompting me

Which Application? What exactly is the message you get?

What format is the external?

Have you tried making the library on the external?

Hi Terence,

The Photos application. The message says: "There is not enough disk space to migrate your library. It is estimated that you need at least 124 GB of additional free space". FYI the iPhoto Library size in the external HD is 82.67 GB. The actual free space in my laptop HD is 172.55 GB.

This is the format of the external Hard Disk MS-DOS (FAT32).

Why is my old iphoto library can't be opened in Photos?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.