Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Screen shots with date/time embedded by computer in screenshot

I need screenshots that have the date and time printed directly ON the screenshot by the computer, for use in a legal case. Is there any way to do that? I'm using a 2015 Macbook Pro running High Sierra (10.13.5). When I take a screen shot and open it on my computer, the name of the file is the date/time stamp and the info appears at the top of the shot when it's on my computer screen, but the info is not included when printing out the screen shot. Please help!

MacBook Pro, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 21, 2018 11:01 AM

13 replies

Jun 22, 2018 9:02 AM in response to VikingOSX

Hi Viking,

Thanks for the info. I'm working on understanding it. BTW, the filename (e.g. date/time stamp) appears when you view the screen shot on screen, but doesn't appear when you print it out. It doesn't even show in the print preview. A weird (and if you ask me, very serious) glitch of the Mac. It shouldn't be this tough to get a time and date stamp on a screen shot.

Jun 21, 2018 5:21 PM in response to afoxland

I have a Python/Objective-C script that right now can center a text string in a choice of color across the bottom of PDF. Just like a digital camera stamp. I would need to modify it to convert the image to PDF, and use the date/time stamp from the screen shot filename. It probaby could benefit from a simple user interface to select the specific screen shot, and that isn't much difficulty — if I reuse an AppleScript choose file approach from within Python.

Here is your post as a screencapture converted to PDF and with an arbitrary red text string stamped on it.

User uploaded file

Jun 21, 2018 4:45 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Hi BobTheFisherman, thanks for your answer. I'm using Shift-command-3 to capture the entire screen. It should get the date and time of the screencap, and it looks like it does on the computer, but check this out:

Try this as an exercise, because this is a very serious flaw in the MacBook if you're trying to use your MacBook for legal work:

1) Use shift-command-3 to to put a screenshot on your desktop.

2) Now open the screenshot. Notice the filename is, for example, "Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 5.39.54 PM." This would be perfect, but next

3) click File/Print, as though you're going to print it, or just go ahead and print it out.

On the print view and on the actual printed document, the wording "Screen Shot 2018-06-21 at 5.39.54 PM" doesn't show. It is no longer at the top of the document, or anywhere on the document. When I send these screenshots through email as well, the date and time do not appear at the top, either.

Jun 21, 2018 7:54 PM in response to afoxland

Python is a free scripting language that is included with the operating system, and is an internationally accepted programming language. Apple actually uses it within the operating system for selected solutions.

Objective-C is a programming language that can be integrated within Python and/or AppleScript to extend application functionality. Apple includes Python, AppleScript, and the Cocoa bridge to access Objective-C for free with the operating system.

The Python/Objective-C solution that put that red string on your screen capture is using Objective-C language constructs within the Python script.

One can get the time stamp from the screen capture filename, or one can get the creation date/time from the file itself — which the operating system stamped on the file when it was created. This particular solution is Mac only.

Screen shots with date/time embedded by computer in screenshot

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.