Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DVD drive for Beige Power Mac G3 tower

Hey everyone! I own a Beige Power Mac G3 tower with a 266 MHz PPC G3, Rev. A ROM, 768 MB RAM, 80 GB HDD, and I gave it an ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card with 64 MB of VRAM and a Firewire 400 card. It also came with an old 2 port USB 1.1 card that is probably from the late 90's/early 2000's. What I would like to do is upgrade the old CD drive with a DVD drive. I want to know what is a good one that allows it to play DVD movies and is bootable. It has Mac OS X 10.2.8 and Mac OS 9.2.2. Also does the graphics card have MPEG support for DVD playback? Any help would be great. Thanks.

PowerMac, Mac OS 9.1.x, 266MHz G3, 128MB RAM, 6 GB HDD

Posted on Jun 24, 2018 2:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 9:41 PM

On a beige G3, the DVD-ROM drive was a build-to-order option, so that it included the A/V personality card with the onboard Qube MPEG decoder chip. The B&W G3 and G4 PCI graphics had the piggy-back MPEG decoder board that attached to the ATI Rage 128 graphics card. These Macs used hardware-based MPEG decoding and version 1.x of the Apple DVD Player software would scan for the necessary hardware components before the program would launch. If a DVD drive and the decoding chip weren't found, an error message would appear that the software wasn't compatible with the computer. A newer, OS 9-compatible version of Apple DVD Player (2.x) used a software-based decoding scheme, but would only install on newer computers with faster G3 or G4 processors. The workaround for the beige G3s and B&W G3s running OS 9.0.4, 9.1, or 9.2.x was to use "Tomeviewer" to extract "Apple DVD Player 2.7" from the installer tome and manually place the corresponding files as directed (follow the instructions on this page). After that, download and run the "Apple DVD Player 2.7 Patch." I successfully did this and was able to watch DVD movie playback on my beige G3s (266 and 300 MHz) having the Radeon 7000 graphics card. For all but one of my G3s, I flashed ATI's retail/boxed version of their Radeon 7000 graphics card for PCs. Buying ATI's "PC" version card enabled having a card with 64 MB DDR memory, which the Apple versions didn't have. Playback wasn't bad, as I recall. I'll have to connect one of my beige G3s and test the playback again.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2018 9:41 PM in response to Chris of AZ

On a beige G3, the DVD-ROM drive was a build-to-order option, so that it included the A/V personality card with the onboard Qube MPEG decoder chip. The B&W G3 and G4 PCI graphics had the piggy-back MPEG decoder board that attached to the ATI Rage 128 graphics card. These Macs used hardware-based MPEG decoding and version 1.x of the Apple DVD Player software would scan for the necessary hardware components before the program would launch. If a DVD drive and the decoding chip weren't found, an error message would appear that the software wasn't compatible with the computer. A newer, OS 9-compatible version of Apple DVD Player (2.x) used a software-based decoding scheme, but would only install on newer computers with faster G3 or G4 processors. The workaround for the beige G3s and B&W G3s running OS 9.0.4, 9.1, or 9.2.x was to use "Tomeviewer" to extract "Apple DVD Player 2.7" from the installer tome and manually place the corresponding files as directed (follow the instructions on this page). After that, download and run the "Apple DVD Player 2.7 Patch." I successfully did this and was able to watch DVD movie playback on my beige G3s (266 and 300 MHz) having the Radeon 7000 graphics card. For all but one of my G3s, I flashed ATI's retail/boxed version of their Radeon 7000 graphics card for PCs. Buying ATI's "PC" version card enabled having a card with 64 MB DDR memory, which the Apple versions didn't have. Playback wasn't bad, as I recall. I'll have to connect one of my beige G3s and test the playback again.

Jun 24, 2018 3:26 PM in response to Chris of AZ

Update: I temporarily installed the Superdrive from my Power Mac G5 and it seems to work with movies, but is a little jumpy and laggy at times. I have an Apple Cinema HD display hooked up to the Radeon 7000 card's DVI port via an ADC-DVI adapter. Playback is via VLC player because Apple DVD player didn't install during Mac OS X installation. Anything I can do about this?

Jun 25, 2018 8:43 AM in response to Chris of AZ

Hi Chris,

I think the jumpiness will always be there. The Beige G3 (my all-time favorite Mac, by the way) does not support Apple's Quartz Extreme technology that debuted in those versions of OSX. The Radeon 7000 can do 3D graphics well enough but QE controls 2D display elements. I saw the lack of QE supoprt on my Beiger G3 when I opened/closed windows, scrolled in teh Finder, and dragged anythign about the Desktop. QE required AGP graphics and your fine old Beige has PCI graphics.

There once was a hack to enable QE on a PCI Mac but it tended to shut down any other PCI cards like your USB and FW cards.

ATI Radeon 7000 graphics card with 64 MB of VRAM

That must be a PC card that was flashed. The retail Radeon Mac Edition 7000 was only 32MB VRAM. However, L have run three "real" Mac Edition ATI cards--a 16MB Rage Orion; an original 32MB Radeon (much faster then the RME 7000 that replaced it); and a 128MB Radeon 9200--in my most upgraded Beige G3. The first two had no issues in OS9 but showed the 2D stutters in OSX. The 9200 was never properly adapted to OS9 because it came out as Apple was making the transition, but showed the same lack of QE support in OSX.

Jun 25, 2018 10:20 AM in response to Allan Jones

The graphics card is a Saphire card powered by ATI and was a flashed card I got from eBay for $35. I tried to install Apple DVD Player version 2.something for Mac OS 9, but I found out that it is not compatible with PCI graphic based Macs. I heard there are older versions that work. I have the Mac OS 9.1 installation CD, but it won’t let me do a custom install due to the current OS being 9.2.2. Any idea on how to get an old version of Apple DVD player for Mac OS 9? For DVD drive, what is a good one? Should I just get another SuperDrive like the one in my G5? Thanks for the help!

Jun 28, 2018 8:11 AM in response to Jeff

I should have written "C-Cube" as the semiconductor manufacturer of the decoder chip. I didn't address your question regarding a compatible/bootable brand of DVD±RW drive for your beige G3. Pioneer's original ATAPI DVD±RW drives were always considered to be the best, third-party choice, before they began having ASUS manufacture their drives (18x and faster). If you checked ebay for an older 8x, 12x, or 16x Pioneer, it should be their product. I have a bootable, combo DVD-ROM/CD-RW Toshiba drive in a B&W G3 and a beige G3. I had good luck with Lite-On's CD-RW drives also, but not with a "Memorex" branded DVD±RW drive manufactured by LG. It would not respond to the shortcut keys for booting.

Jul 19, 2018 4:51 PM in response to Chris of AZ

Chris of AZ wrote:

...Apple DVD player didn't install during Mac OS X installation. Anything I can do about this?

If the DVD drive was not found during the OS X installation process, then the .app won't get installed. You could reinstall the entire OS X after the DVD was installed in the machine. Or, you can try Pacifist to install just the DVD Player app from the OS X installer packages:

Pacifist — Older Versions

DVD drive for Beige Power Mac G3 tower

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.