Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my iMac wake up in the middle of the night?

My iMac running OS High Sierra (installed more or less a year ago) recently started waking up in the middle of the night. We manually sleep the computer before retiring but it wakes up every night. We have tried turning the Wifi access off but it still wakes up on its own.

Ideas?

Thank you.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.1.x)

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 5:57 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 7:20 AM

Hello Variety one!

I see from your post that you're having some trouble with the display of your iMac waking up when it should be sleeping. I'll be happy to help out.

Take a look at this information below which has some reasons why your iMac may wake up unexpectedly:

If your Mac wakes unexpectedly

Your Mac might wake for these activities:

• Network activity that uses the Wake on Demand feature. Examples of network activity include iTunes sharing, photo sharing, printer sharing, file sharing, and using Back to My Mac.
  • Enhanced notifications from FaceTime, Messages, and other apps and services.
  • Bluetooth activity. To prevent Bluetooth devices from waking your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Click the Advanced Button, then deselect "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

If you have a MacBook Pro (2016 or later) or MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017), note that these models are designed to start up when you open their lids or connect them to power.

These steps and other helpful information can be found here: If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

Take care!
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2018 7:20 AM in response to Variety one

Hello Variety one!

I see from your post that you're having some trouble with the display of your iMac waking up when it should be sleeping. I'll be happy to help out.

Take a look at this information below which has some reasons why your iMac may wake up unexpectedly:

If your Mac wakes unexpectedly

Your Mac might wake for these activities:

• Network activity that uses the Wake on Demand feature. Examples of network activity include iTunes sharing, photo sharing, printer sharing, file sharing, and using Back to My Mac.
  • Enhanced notifications from FaceTime, Messages, and other apps and services.
  • Bluetooth activity. To prevent Bluetooth devices from waking your Mac, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, then click Bluetooth. Click the Advanced Button, then deselect "Allow Bluetooth devices to wake this computer."

If you have a MacBook Pro (2016 or later) or MacBook (Retina, 12-inch, 2017), note that these models are designed to start up when you open their lids or connect them to power.

These steps and other helpful information can be found here: If your Mac doesn't sleep or wake when expected

Take care!

Why does my iMac wake up in the middle of the night?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.