Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple support

How can a person identify a true email from Apple support? I received another one that wants me to click on a link and verify my Apple identity or my account will be locked.

iPhone 7, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 1:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 2:00 PM

cmpelows wrote:

How can a person identify a true email from Apple support? I received another one that wants me to click on a link and verify my Apple identity or my account will be locked.

Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support explains how to identify and report them.

User uploaded file

2 replies

Jun 25, 2018 2:22 PM in response to cmpelows

Apple will always address you by your name or the name they have on file for you, not Dear Customer, Dear Client or by using your e-mail address. The e-mail will be from @apple.com or @iTunes.com. E-mail addresses can be spoofed. You can go to Mail/View/Message/Show all Headers to see more. Apple e-mails will never contain an attachment. Apple will never request personal information such as Social Security numbers.

The only exception to the above I have noticed is if you order something from the Apple Store (apple.com), your receipt will be addressed to Dear Apple Customer. That is a receipt for a purchase you initiated.

Apple support

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.