Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why are my App Store apps not appearing in Notification Center settings?

I'm trying to set up my notifications for a couple of apps I've downloaded from the App Store today. One is Slack, the other is TweetDeck. In both cases I've successfully had those apps deliver notifications to me on previous machines, but on my new MacBook Pro running High Sierra 10.13.5, I'm struggling.

In both cases, the apps simply do not appear in the Notification Center list within my OS settings. So there's no way to turn on badges/alerts/banners.

I've restarted. Re-installed. All the usual. Anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jun 25, 2018 3:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 7:52 AM

Oh yeah, I should update this as I've discovered the issue/answer. To answer your question, though, the apps are compatible, I believe. I tried it with some pretty mainstream third party apps such as Slack and Skype (in addition to lesser known ones).

But here's what I've determined. Nothing was broken, it's just the native behavior of macOS. I find it to be a little strange, but ultimately in most cases the whole sequence probably happens before anybody notices and thus it's not an issue.

Basically, when you download a third party app that has notification capability, it still will not appear in your notification settings until the app has actually attempted to send a notification. Once that's happened, then that triggers something in the OS and the settings are available in your System Preferences > Notifications.

For example, while I had Slack on all day, my Slack settings called for notifications only when someone direct messaged me or tagged me in a channel message. While I had channel messages throughout the day, none of them met those criteria, and so Slack had never attempted to send me a notification. I was proactively trying to set them up to my liking in my preferences and became confused about why I couldn't, but ultimately I hadn't actually missed any notifications.

Once someone sent me a direct message, I did receive a notification banner, and immediately thereafter, I checked my System Preferences > Notifications, and Slack was then available in the menu for me to modify.

So much adieu about nothing really. Again, I do find the order of behavior odd, but now that I understand how it works, future frustration will be avoided.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2018 7:52 AM in response to Eric Root

Oh yeah, I should update this as I've discovered the issue/answer. To answer your question, though, the apps are compatible, I believe. I tried it with some pretty mainstream third party apps such as Slack and Skype (in addition to lesser known ones).

But here's what I've determined. Nothing was broken, it's just the native behavior of macOS. I find it to be a little strange, but ultimately in most cases the whole sequence probably happens before anybody notices and thus it's not an issue.

Basically, when you download a third party app that has notification capability, it still will not appear in your notification settings until the app has actually attempted to send a notification. Once that's happened, then that triggers something in the OS and the settings are available in your System Preferences > Notifications.

For example, while I had Slack on all day, my Slack settings called for notifications only when someone direct messaged me or tagged me in a channel message. While I had channel messages throughout the day, none of them met those criteria, and so Slack had never attempted to send me a notification. I was proactively trying to set them up to my liking in my preferences and became confused about why I couldn't, but ultimately I hadn't actually missed any notifications.

Once someone sent me a direct message, I did receive a notification banner, and immediately thereafter, I checked my System Preferences > Notifications, and Slack was then available in the menu for me to modify.

So much adieu about nothing really. Again, I do find the order of behavior odd, but now that I understand how it works, future frustration will be avoided.

Why are my App Store apps not appearing in Notification Center settings?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.