Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Combo Cleaner safe for Mac?

Has anyone tried an anti=virus called Combo Cleaner? I had been infected with an adware called MacKeeper and I also noticed that my search engine was now something I had not ever heard of. It was like ScumSearch. So I googled and ask for help and was told to install Combo Cleaner. It did take care of both of these issues but my Credit Card company issued me a warning that this company is an international company. Now this concerns me. HELP...have I totally messed up? Or is anyone else using Combo Cleaner?

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MACBOOK AIR (13-INCH, 2017)

Posted on Jun 26, 2018 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 26, 2018 3:04 PM

I don't know who you were talking to, but you've gotten a lot of really bad advice .

They claimed Malwarebytes can not remove adware.

That's what it's main function has always been. It was called Adware Medic before the MalwareBytes folks hired Thomas (the person who wrote and still maintains the app) and changed its name to MalwareBytes for Mac.

That any Apple tech support person would say any such thing suggests you were talking to a first day rookie. Many of Apple's phone reps suggest MalwareBytes to callers. They use it at the Apple Stores.

just to let you know that mackeeper is not a malware

This is a technically correct answer, but only by the slimmest of margins. Were you to install this pure garbage on a brand new Mac, it will claim to have found numerous serious errors that need to be fixed. But only after you pay for it first, of course.

it is a software that basically advertise full version of apps or other features

That part of the response is completely wrong. MacKeeper does not exist to simply advertise other products. It is the product. And it's complete junk.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 26, 2018 3:04 PM in response to elainefromplattsmouth

I don't know who you were talking to, but you've gotten a lot of really bad advice .

They claimed Malwarebytes can not remove adware.

That's what it's main function has always been. It was called Adware Medic before the MalwareBytes folks hired Thomas (the person who wrote and still maintains the app) and changed its name to MalwareBytes for Mac.

That any Apple tech support person would say any such thing suggests you were talking to a first day rookie. Many of Apple's phone reps suggest MalwareBytes to callers. They use it at the Apple Stores.

just to let you know that mackeeper is not a malware

This is a technically correct answer, but only by the slimmest of margins. Were you to install this pure garbage on a brand new Mac, it will claim to have found numerous serious errors that need to be fixed. But only after you pay for it first, of course.

it is a software that basically advertise full version of apps or other features

That part of the response is completely wrong. MacKeeper does not exist to simply advertise other products. It is the product. And it's complete junk.

Jun 26, 2018 5:12 PM in response to elainefromplattsmouth

From what you’ve described, at some point, you were convinced to install garbage software. Or, you used an aggregate download site such as downloads.com or softonic.com. These sites do indeed offer all kinds of legal downloads to get free and shareware software from, or demos of commercial software. Problem is, many of those downloads also install adware. ChumSearch is currently one of the worst, as it’s difficult to remove.

You don’t need any type of AV software on a Mac. There are no viruses (software that installs with no help needed from the user). It’s all Trojans, which is software you have to download and install. No AV software can stop you from doing that.

Literally, every single piece of so-called anti this or that software in the App Store is 100% useless (as is all AV software not found there). The ones from the App Store are even more useless since to be included there for sale, such apps are severly restricted to what they can access on the drive. The only places they’re allowed to touch is within their own application package, and your user account.

The only exception to the above is MalwareBytes for Mac. It is not AV software. Its main purpose is to clean up after the fact. It does only two things in real time. One, it checks back to their site to see if there are any updates to apply. And two, it watches for ransomware. If such software attempts to encrypt data, MBAM will do it’s best to shut the app down as quickly as possible.

Jun 26, 2018 11:13 AM in response to elainefromplattsmouth

You mean ChumSearch I think. I hadn't heard of Combo Cleaner until now. The briefest of scans of the reviews in the App Store suggest it is no better than the stuff you wisely wanted to remove. Had you asked here first I would have recommended Malwarebytes for Mac—Mac Antivirus Replacement | Malwarebytes. Perhaps you can cancel your payment for the subscription to Combo Cleaner. Hmm, why was that subscription not run through the App store too? In normal circumstances it would have been another secure payment to Apple, giving nothing for your credit card company to flag up.

tt2

Jun 26, 2018 12:15 PM in response to elainefromplattsmouth

If I've read things correctly you're saying the Combo Cleaner has actually resolved your issues, so I guess the remaining question is should you be concerned that you've given this third party company, based in a different country, access to your card details. Ask the financial institution that warned you. Perhaps they can issue a new card in a painless fashion to eliminate any potential risk.

tt2

Jun 26, 2018 12:21 PM in response to elainefromplattsmouth

Malwarebytes identifies MacKeeper as a Potentially Unwanted Program (PUP) - NOT adware or malware

It does not remove ALL of MK's components

MWB4M is considered the gold standard - written by a long-time member here before the MWB company bought his program and made him Director of Mac products

This has been suggested several times and seems to have gone unchallenged as a thorough MK killer process

Read it ALL first - then go back and do the steps

How to Remove MacKeeper

https://www.lifewire.com/remove-mackeeper-4150011

Jun 26, 2018 1:33 PM in response to stedman1

Diandra

“No worries, I will be more than happy to assist you with the issue you are having to mackeeper, just to let you know that mackeeper is not a malware, it is a software that basically advertise full version of apps or other features” From Apple Tech yesterday

I ALREADY HAD MALWARE ON my COMPUTER AND IT DIDN’T REMOVE THIS. I used caps so you would realize my answer and a copy of the tech from Apple. And yes I went onto Apple support page and talked to a real support tech. I did want to Thank all who have responded to me. I did run Etrecheck and I believe I will take my computer with a copy of this report to a Apple store and get it fixed. Meanwhile I need to call my credit card company and have them issue me a new card and cancel this one. I was able to drag Combo Cleaner into the trash but I wouldn’t be surprised she left other junk on my laptop. I can not believe how I could get into such a mess. But I did Thanks again to all who reached out to me.

Jun 26, 2018 4:23 PM in response to Kurt Lang

Thank you. I am new with Apple and it is such a different story from my Window computer. My plans is to head for the Apple store and get it fixed. I only use this computer for Geneology, banking, and oaying bills. So I need it safe. Most if the time I am on my IPhone. The only way I can think I got into this stuff was Facebook or on Yahoo home page. I have had Malwarebytes on my computer since the 1st of June.

I can not tell you how much I appreciate all the help from the community.

Combo Cleaner safe for Mac?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.