Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to clear Mac OSX icon cache

I recently downloaded an application named 'keka". It was used to unarchive .rar files. The application had it's own file logo (which looks like this):

User uploaded file

I deleted the app, and the files that were included with the app. I restarted my Mac... And the logo was the same. So I downloaded another .rar file, and the logo was the same. I tried to follow the following procedure:

To fix this, we need to Clear Mac OS X's icon cache.Here is how:

1. To get started, close all open applications and then launch Terminal from Macintosh HD > Applications > Utilities. Copy and paste the following command at the Terminal prompt and press Return to execute it:
  2. sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name 'com.apple.dock.iconcache' -delete 
    sudo find /private/var/folders/ -name 'com.apple.iconservices' -delete sudo rm -r /Library/Caches/com.apple.iconservices.store
  3. restart,job done.

^from Apple.Stackexchange.com (macos - Safari download bar rar file icon show as VLC icon,which associate to The Unarchiver should shows its icon - Ask…)

When I did the first and second sudo commands, the return was the following:
find: (file name here): Operation not permittedIf anyone has any solutions? Thanks in advance
- V. Patel

User uploaded file

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4)

Posted on Jun 26, 2018 4:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 27, 2018 5:14 PM

I would cheat...

Find a jpeg that you want to use for this and pop a copy on the Desktop

In Finder, right click and Get Info on the file

Drag the new jpeg over the old picture in the Get Info box

You can also use Copy / Paste if the drag does not work macOS Sierra: Create custom icons for files or folders

Andrew

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 27, 2018 5:14 PM in response to vasupatel701

I would cheat...

Find a jpeg that you want to use for this and pop a copy on the Desktop

In Finder, right click and Get Info on the file

Drag the new jpeg over the old picture in the Get Info box

You can also use Copy / Paste if the drag does not work macOS Sierra: Create custom icons for files or folders

Andrew

How to clear Mac OSX icon cache

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.