Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Clone HDD to a smaller SSD

Hi,

My mid2012 MacBook HDD used only 138GB out of 500GB.

I would like to change a new 250GB SSD that I already have.

Is there any way to do it?

I was thinking of partition the HDD to 250GB and then clone that partition to the new SSD? Is this possible?

Thank you.

MacBook, iOS 10.3.2

Posted on Jun 29, 2018 7:09 PM

10 replies

Jun 30, 2018 11:11 AM in response to NathanLimBL

A clone only requires the same size as the total file size you wish to clone, so if you have 138 GB, then a 250 GB SSD is plenty (with room for future file size growth). Make sure you format the SSD correctly (Mac OS Extended (Journaled) and GUID partition scheme so it is bootable). Then get a temporary external enclosure, install the SSD in it, connect it to your Mac and clone your hard drive.

Here are some examples of enclosures (look at the USB 3's and make sure they're ok with SSDs):

Search Results for external ssd enclosure at MacSales.com

Jun 30, 2018 11:40 AM in response to NathanLimBL

The reason this will work fine is that the Utilities mentioned are capable of File-by-file copy, so the result is very close to the same size as the original. (only used blocks are copied).

Only a Utility that blindly (but quickly!) copies block-for-block will require a destination as large as the original. It copies ALL the blocks without regard for whether they are empty or full.

Clone HDD to a smaller SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.