Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mac iTunes iCloud Status "Waiting" & disabled, but…it's mine?

On this Apple Support article:

About iCloud Music Library icons and status - Apple Support

…I posted this (because it's unhelpful in this situation):

"iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)

macOS: 10.13.5 (17F77)

iTunes: 12.7.5.9

Regarding this article:

iCloud Status "Waiting" does not show any icon, at least for the one song in my library showing that.

iMac not disconnected from iCloud Music Library.

This is a 350MB song mix (not expected to upload).

Was working on iPhone and iMac, but after sync is removed from iPhone and now it's grayed out on iMac and I can no longer play it.

Cannot Show In Finder, and iTunes reports Location is iCloud (how did it ever get there?).

BUT it's MY mix so is not in Apple Music, not in a different country or region.

Restrictions not enabled.

1. Please add "Waiting" to the list of criteria under iCloud Status in Smart Playlists for debugging song files (not currently an option), and…

2. Seems like there should be another status for this odd situation. Or just fix the glitch (if there is one) for this sort of song file."

The most recent Community post on this was a year ago:

Problem with iTunes/iCloud "waiting" status

…but it's too old, so Apple closed if for replies.

Per Apple's instructions, I'm asking again.

First, how can I restore a song from iCloud Music Library to my Mac, that should never have been uploaded in the first place because it was too big, and has apparently been stripped from my local iTunes Library without my permission?

Second, how can I prevent this nonsense in the future so my own live mixes don't vanish?

Finally, I have BeaTunes but it's clunky, and I haven't found anything else as good or better than iTunes for Mac. Is there a better Mac music library manager than iTunes?

iMac with Retina 5K display, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5)

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 4:52 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 2, 2018 6:35 PM

ok if you keep time machine on, you may be able to open iTunes even when the external drive is not connected and go back a day and see if you are able to restore the song. See if you have a saved state in the snap shots.

if you use icloud, make sure your itunes match or apple music is up to date

Similar questions

3 replies

Jul 2, 2018 5:43 PM in response to Greg B32

That's a funny thing: Get Info says the Location is "iCloud".

Reveal in Finder is not available, and Finder search can't track it down. There's no iTunes Library directory for the artist.

But yesterday it was on my iPhone and Mac. All I did was plugged my iPhone into the Mac, in iTunes I unchecked the song in iPhone Music, unchecked other songs and added some others, and synced via cable. All but this song are still on my Mac, but this one vanished from both devices. It was too large to ever have been uploaded to iCloud Library (200MB song size limit), so I'm not sure how it could have been orphaned there, and no reason to have been wiped from my Mac. I would understand if I had deleted the song in my Library, but even if that were the case, it shouldn't display in my iTunes Library, as "Waiting", or located in iCloud. Weird, eh?

I'm sure I can restore it from my backup soon as I can get to my safe deposit box, but…I really don't like this happening and want to prevent it. I can't risk syncing any more custom mixes; I'm nervous syncing at all now!

This song wasn't ripped; it was a mix of live recordings I converted to MP3 years back. I added it to iTunes same as ever: dragged from an external drive and dropped to iTunes. Automatic file organization has been on since iTunes inception. I don't have the source drive anymore; just a monthly backup of my Mac's internal drive.

Mac iTunes iCloud Status "Waiting" & disabled, but…it's mine?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.