Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Replaced broken hard drive, now stuck in old OS software

So I have a 2011 13in MacBook Pro and my old hard drive broke and I replaced it with the same model that I found online, but now I can't update it to the latest software. It says I have the Mac OS X Lion 10.7.5 (11G63), and whenever I scan for updates it says there are none. When I go to the app store, it says I cant download Sierra, even though I was able to before I replaced my hard drive.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.7.5)

Posted on Jul 3, 2018 4:23 PM

Similar questions

1 reply

Jul 9, 2018 11:39 AM in response to Tye Lee

Do you have another Mac available? If you do, use your Apple ID and the Mac App Store to download the most recent version of macOS that your previously-problematic Mac will support, and use that to create a bootable installer on an external scratch flash drive (and 16 GB or larger should work) and then transfer that device and boot and use that to do whatever it is that you need with the previously-problematic Mac. That should be able to boot and install the newer release on the newly-replaced storage, for instance. From there, your existing backups can be migrated in either during or after the macOS installation.

Replaced broken hard drive, now stuck in old OS software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.