Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the proper location for sshd_config?

I'm running both El Capitan and High Sierra on various boxes. I've been doing a lot of systems setup, backup, copying, etc. and wanted to configure password-less operation of ssh between these machines. I understand the process of setting up password-less ssh operations having done this before (on macOS and non-macOS systems) ... and everything I've done so far is working perfectly fine (as far as I can tell) ... but I don't know why it's working!

All the online (macOS) documentation that I read regarding this process mentions tweaks that should be made to the daemon configuration file: /etc/sshd_config However, that file does not exist! I do have the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config (and a whole lot of other stuff in that directory) but no ssh-related files in /etc.

These online sources say that I need to make the following changes to /etc/sshd_config:

RSAAuthentication yes

PubkeyAuthentication yes

PermitRootLogin no

PasswordAuthentication no

PermitEmptyPasswords no

ChallengeResponseAuthentication no

I've never made a single one of these changes - because there is no /etc/sshd_config in El Capitan or High Sierra - yet everything works as expected. I'm very confused. Can someone enlighten me?

Thanks!

various, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Jul 7, 2018 7:53 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 7, 2018 7:17 PM

The sshd daemon reads /etc/ssh/sshd_config. That is the first line in the sshd_config(5) man page description. This location, and filename is identical for El Capitan and High Sierra. In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, it is /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

When you read online articles, pay close attention to any date when they were posted, as this may indicate a substantially older version of OS X, where the filesystem organization may be different (e.g. /etc/sshd_config), or simply a mistake in the post, when /etc/ssh/sshd_config was intended, but written incorrectly.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 7, 2018 7:17 PM in response to liam1101

The sshd daemon reads /etc/ssh/sshd_config. That is the first line in the sshd_config(5) man page description. This location, and filename is identical for El Capitan and High Sierra. In Ubuntu 18.04 LTS, it is /etc/ssh/ssh_config.

When you read online articles, pay close attention to any date when they were posted, as this may indicate a substantially older version of OS X, where the filesystem organization may be different (e.g. /etc/sshd_config), or simply a mistake in the post, when /etc/ssh/sshd_config was intended, but written incorrectly.

What is the proper location for sshd_config?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.