Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Black Screen After Login - Mac OS High Sierra & MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2016

Hi All,

Out of the blue, my Mac isn't giving me the desktop anymore. Just shut it down the day before, and in the AM turned it on, it gave me the login screen, just logged in, and then all I had was a black screen with the mouse pointer in the top left. Nothing more. Tried so far:

- resetting SMC, NVRAM

- reinstalled OS via the recovery option (Command+R login)

- ran First Aid at disk utility

- Now I’m at the ’Command+S’ Single User mode, at the incredibly unfriendly Mac OS text mode, with a font size so small that’s almost unreadable, trying to create a new admin user, so I can rule out any problems with my current user profile. However I could not find the commands to make it happen at this single-user text mode.

Any advice, anything would be

MacBook Pro TouchBar and Touch ID, macOS High Sierra (10.13.5), null

Posted on Jul 8, 2018 10:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 12:50 PM

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wagnercs!

I understand you're unable to login to your user, do to only seeing a black screen. I'd be happy to help with some steps that may resolve this issue.

I see you've already tried a few troubleshooting steps. Go ahead and try logging in with safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If you're still unable to log in, please respond to the following:
1. Do you have a backup of your MacBook?
2. Do you recall installing any new software?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 10, 2018 12:50 PM in response to wagnercs

Hello and welcome to Apple Support Communities, wagnercs!

I understand you're unable to login to your user, do to only seeing a black screen. I'd be happy to help with some steps that may resolve this issue.

I see you've already tried a few troubleshooting steps. Go ahead and try logging in with safe mode: Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac

Start up in safe mode

To start up in safe mode:

1. Start or restart your Mac, then immediately press and hold the Shift key. The Apple logo appears on your display. If you don't see the Apple logo, learn what to do.
  2. Release the Shift key when you see the login window. If your startup disk is encrypted with FileVault, you might be asked to log in twice: once to unlock the startup disk, and again to log in to the Finder.

To leave safe mode, restart your Mac without pressing any keys during startup.

If you're still unable to log in, please respond to the following:
1. Do you have a backup of your MacBook?
2. Do you recall installing any new software?

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities.
Have a great day!

Black Screen After Login - Mac OS High Sierra & MacBook Pro Touch Bar 2016

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.