Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migration Assistant

Bought a new iMac and wanting to transfer data from PC with Migration Assistant. The icon to download is MISSING on my PC, running Windows 7. At work now and the icon is also missing on this PC, running Windows 10 which is up to date. What’s up with this? How can I get the most current version of Migration Assistant?

iPad 2 Wi-Fi, iOS 7.1.1

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 6:43 AM

6 replies

Jul 10, 2018 11:56 AM in response to lmorgo

We should have advised to not use WI-FI as it is simply too slow for the vast majority of users. Ensure both computer are connected on the same Network via Ethernet.

MA is extremely reliable and works however it has some basic rules that must be followed which includes ensuring both computers are on the same network and that a Ethernet connection provides the most reliable connection when migrating from a PC. To be honest you may want to suggest this to Apple in www.Apple.com/feedback. Apple has no idea of the amount of data a user will transfer, obviously the more data there is the longer the migration takes. If you are using a WI-FI connection and have a lot of data you could be looking at weeks, and not that is not an exaggeration.

Migration Assistant is installed with EVERY new Mac and may be found by using Spotlight and simply typing Migration Assistant. The MA app for the PC may also be found by clicking Download Windows Migration Assistant v2.1.2.0 . Had you followed the links provided in the Move your data from a Windows PC to your Mac - Apple Support provided earlier you would have found this. Items that have hyperlinks must be followed, this is what I meant by following the instructions to the letter.

Jul 10, 2018 5:59 AM in response to babowa

Yes, I have followed those directions - step-by-step. PC at home is running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 and is up-to-date. Work PC is running Windows 10 Pro Version 1607. The download icon is missing on both PCs. I was able to get it from someone with a Mac - miraculously the icon was on the Mac! Beginning to have my doubts whether it's available on a PC at all. From a thumb-drive Mac user provided me with, I downloaded Migration Assistant last night on home PC and started the migration around 9pm. It appears to be stuck....little or no movement (hard to tell) on the bar.

I Googled "Migration Assistant Stuck" and got lots of hits, apparently nothing new here.

I have iPhone, iPad, iPod and have just made the switch to iMac (it's brand new and think it has High Sierra). So far, conversion over not going so well. 😟

Jul 10, 2018 10:30 AM in response to rkaufmann87

Again, I have followed the instructions "step-by-step" or "to the letter" as you state. I also talked with Apple Support on 3 separate occasions.

Luckily I was able to obtain Migration Assistant thru a fellow Mac user. Now, as stated above, Migration Assistant "appears" to be stuck. I am currently doing the Migration Assistant thru wifi. Once home this evening, I will most likely cancel the Migration Assistant, as I doubt it progressed any today, and run an Ethernet cable between the PC and Mac and try again. Hopefully this will work. I have several thousand photos on my PC and two iTunes accounts with approx. 9,000 songs. I do not want to manually transfer files but it is beginning to look as if this will be needed.

Migration Assistant

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.