Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to merge libraries

I have several libraries in my Photos, some of the photos are duplicated and I would like to go back to one library and start again, I have tried everything I can think of, but to no avail.

MacBook Pro, iOS 11.4

Posted on Jul 9, 2018 10:06 AM

8 replies

Jul 9, 2018 11:10 AM in response to madeleinefrombrighton

The easiest way would be to use iCloud Photo Library. But you will probably need to sign up for more than the free 5GB of cloud storage.

The general idea is to make each of your libraries in turn your iCloud Photo Library. The libraries will merge in iCloud while iCloud tries to resolve conflicts between duplicates. The merged library will sync back to the currently open library.

See: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries

Jul 13, 2018 4:53 AM in response to madeleinefrombrighton

Downloading from iCloud to a folder in the Finder may result in the file creation dates to changed to the day of the download, yes.

But as long as you use Photos forMac to download the iCloud photo library to a Photos Library on your Mac, Photos will show you the correct capture dates in the Info in Photos. The embedded capture dates in the EXIF tags set by the camera should be preserved when you sync with iCloud. And these tags will we saved with the photos, also when you export them from Photos with "File > Export". The file creation dates matter only in the Finder, but the EXIF Capture dates will matter in any Photo application.

For other options to merge libraries see: Notes on Merging Photos Libraries

Jul 13, 2018 9:36 AM in response to madeleinefrombrighton

Power Photos doe not really merge libraries - as documented it merges one version of the photo and you lose edit history and the ability to reve\rt to original - it is not a true merge - only using ICLP is a (almost) true merge

1. Merge the libraries with PowerPhotos: PowerPhotos is a tool to manage Photos Libraries. You can easily browse libraries in turn and move photos between libraries. Merging with PowerPhotos is fast (https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/. It will migrate the metadata and the albums, but you have to decide, if you want to use the originals or the edited versions. So you will either lose the editing work or the high quality originals or create redundancy by merging twice in two passes, once to transfer the originals, and then the edited versions. You will have to add a pass to remove duplicates afterward. See chapter six in the PowerPhotos manual: : https://www.fatcatsoftware.com/powerphotos/Help/merging%20libraries.html
  2. Another option would by to keep both libraries separate and use PowerPhotos to browse the libraries and to transfer selected albums as you go.

LN

Jul 13, 2018 4:44 AM in response to léonie

Hi Leonie,

Thank you for answering my query. I used to have my photos stored on icloud, but I had to draw down the photos because of a problem with my laptop. I found that all the photos had the dates corrupted so they were all showing the date I had drawn them down and as a result, they were in total chaos. Has anyone else had this problem? Before taking the risk again, do you know another way of merging the libraries?

How to merge libraries

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.