Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to move photos to an external hard drive to save storage space

I am trying to move all of my photos and videos onto an external hard drive to save storage on my MacBook Pro (with Retina display) early 2015. I managed to copy all of my photos to my external hard drive, the space they were taking up was 40GB and that was how much space was now used on the external hard drive as it was brand new. After deleting all of my pictures from my photo library, I could not then see them on my external hard drive, they wouldn’t appear? However it still said 40GB of storage had been used. Can anyone help with this?

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 5:29 AM

2 replies

Jul 10, 2018 12:57 PM in response to LaurenDoranBarr

LaurenDoranBarr wrote:

I am trying to move all of my photos and videos onto an external hard drive to save storage on my MacBook Pro (with Retina display) early 2015. I managed to copy all of my photos to my external hard drive, the space they were taking up was 40GB and that was how much space was now used on the external hard drive as it was brand new. After deleting all of my pictures from my photo library, I could not then see them on my external hard drive, they wouldn’t appear? However it still said 40GB of storage had been used. Can anyone help with this?

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac

How to move photos to an external hard drive to save storage space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.