Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Airplay 2 issues

I installed macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 and Airplay 2 is not working. In iTunes when I select the Airplay Icon and then select my HomePod (or AppleTv), it appears to select but no sound comes out. Then as I adjust the volume the round disc part of the slider disappears and still no sound. If I turn on a NON Airplay 2 device and select it first, I can then add the Homepod but this defaults all devices back to using Airplay 1. Frustrating. This is on an older 2011 27" iMac.

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.6)

Posted on Jul 10, 2018 10:34 AM

Similar questions

10 replies

Jul 31, 2018 7:14 AM in response to clintgray

I have the same issue. Only to Apple TV. There is a dash in the box instead of a check mark. If I can actually select the apple tv to play to, it plays for a few seconds (but with no sound) and then stops.

I did a time machine install back to before the 10.13.6 update and it works so something has happened in latest Mac OS install and or iTunes 12.8. Frustrating.

I have got it to work in safe mode but when I come back it messes up again.

I've been searching constantly and this is the first time I've seen others with the same issue.

I guess will have to wait for next update to high sierra and or iTunes I guess.

Aug 12, 2018 8:47 PM in response to clintgray

Same problem happen to me...

I use to have it all working fine and since I have updated to 10.13.6 it is not working anymore.

I hear the sound only on the iMac or on the Airplay NAD amplifier but not on both as before.

Also, every time I make it works on the NAD (only) I have to raise the volume back to an audible level on the NAD.

This is a new issue as the NAD is located in another room.

This is on an new iMac 27" 2018

Aug 17, 2018 6:52 AM in response to clintgray

I have exactly the same problem.

I've found a workaround in that if I select an older device (airport express) as well as the Apple TV, then they both play, but if I select just the HomePod, or Apple TV on their own, I get the blue minus box as shown in your picture.

This is only since the Airplay 2 update, before then all worked fine.

I can play the HomePod or Apple TV singly from iPhone, but not from iTunes on my mac.

macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 Airplay 2 issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.