Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installation failed: Can't install the software

I keep getting the prompt do download new softare and when I click download I get this:

"Installation failed: Can't install the software because it is not currently available from the software server."

iPhone 8, iOS 11.4.1

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 1:55 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 8:28 AM

The dialogue box appears when I plug in my iPhone 8 and it would seem like it is prompt from iTunes. When I click on "learn more" it takes me to this page: If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Suppo… the popup window is also depicted on this page in a .png

When I click on install then it tells me the software is not avaiable on the server.

The phone and my Mac are on the latests versions and they seem to be syncing just fine.

165 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2018 8:28 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

The dialogue box appears when I plug in my iPhone 8 and it would seem like it is prompt from iTunes. When I click on "learn more" it takes me to this page: If you see "Software update is required to connect to your iOS device" on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch - Apple Suppo… the popup window is also depicted on this page in a .png

When I click on install then it tells me the software is not avaiable on the server.

The phone and my Mac are on the latests versions and they seem to be syncing just fine.

Dec 2, 2018 12:57 AM in response to idmarsden

I had this issue which caused my iphone to continuously connecting and disconnecting from the mac.

Finally apple support find a way to solve it :

After creating a new user, when connecting the iphone on the new user session, the problem was not reproduced.

We tried also to install a previous version of itunes but mac wouldn't allow us.

Finally this is what fixed the issue :

• go to finder
  • choose go on the top left and select go to folder
  • type the following : /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/MobileDevice.framework/Versions/Current/Resour ces/MobileDeviceUpdater
  • Go inside the package called MobileDeviceUpdater
  • Under the Mac OS folder you should see this :

User uploaded file

then execute this unix executable. You should see some message about an update.

I did this when the phone was connected to itunes.

After that, when reconnecting the iphone, the pb was fixed.

Thanks

Romain

Aug 3, 2018 4:36 PM in response to rmbcsa

I have the same problem. iPhone 6S, iOS 11.4.1 and IMac with OS10.13.6.

Occasionally, iTunes on the iMac will recognize my iPhone, and sync with it. But it never gives me the option to add photos or to add tunes, albums or playlists from iTunes.

In contrast, Photos has no problem recognizing my iPhone and downloading photos from it. this makes me think it is a problem with iTunes software.

Oct 21, 2018 12:10 PM in response to Cathey Weigel

Hello,

I've got the same problem since a few months, since I updated to High Sierra. I've updated last week to Mojave, and the issue was still there.

I've tried changing the cable to an official one, then to a licensed one, then I replaced my iPhone 7 with a new iPhone X, then I upgraded the OS to Mojave. Nothing worked.

The other day I did a search in google again, and I found a post speaking about an issue with Xcode. The post suggested as a solution to download Xcode and open it. The first time Xcode is run, it asks to install some components, and some if them are related to iOS. Actually, if iTunes is opened at the time of run Xcode for the first time, installing those support components will close and reopen iTunes.

Since I did so, I haven't had the issue anymore. I hope this helps!

Oct 14, 2018 10:55 AM in response to idmarsden

Using another cable (Apple brand) instead of the other one I was using, seems to have resolved this issue for me.

What didn't work:

• Unplugging the third party Thunderbolt cable from a USB hub, and running it to the back of the iMac instead.
  • Syncing time/date settings (they were already set to automatic).
  • Software update (everything was already up to date).

Other notes:

• I was not using a beta version of iOS or macOS Mojave.
  • Charging the iPhone and syncing photos from the phone in the Photos app worked. But every time I plugged in my iPhone, I would get the series of prompts and errors that the OP had (saying I needed to update the iPhone driver, but then saying it could not be downloaded).

Jan 21, 2019 6:25 PM in response to idmarsden

**FIXED MY PROBLEM**

I have a MacBook Pro macOS Mojave version 10.14.2, iTunes version 12.9.2.5, iPad Air 2 iOS version 12.1.1, all UTD.

• I tried signing out of my iTunes account and signing back in. Did not work.
  • I downloaded Xcode through the Apple App Store and started it. Did not work.
  • I updated my date/time on the computer. Did not work.
  • I attached my iPad to my MacBook using multiple different USB cables, both official Apple and Apple approved. Did not work.
  • I attached my iPad to a USB cable to an unpowered 4-port USB hub, which is then attached via USB to my MacBook. This DID work. However, my iPad will not charge via this link. BUT now I can at least back up and sync my iPad.

Mar 8, 2019 11:40 AM in response to idmarsden

Solution Here (I have fixed the issue)

• If your iMessage is working fine jump to step 4.

1. First check if your FaceTime/iMessage is working. (if its not then probably your account has been temporarily banded) DON'T PANIC !
  2. Call Apple Support (Skype Online Free +18002752273) wait them to verify its you (Take around 10-20min voice-voice call, be patience because its the only solution)
  3. After unblocked (you will be able to sign in to your FaceTime and iMessage)
  4. Now Sign out (iCloud) from your Mac and Phone (other devices) and SignIn Again.
  5. Thank me later. Enjoy !

Mar 13, 2019 7:04 AM in response to idmarsden

Fix 1:

The version of the iOS device may got expired. Check whether both the device are up to date. If not then update the device with latest version and try to sync the device.

• Go to Settings > General > Software Update.

If you still face the issue then follow next fix.

Fix 2:

It may cause due to the date an time mismatch of your device which you want to sync up.

https://techmazza.com/installation-failed-cant-install-the-software-because-currently-not-available-ios/

Jan 2, 2019 9:02 PM in response to snick2583

Exact same issue here. Very frustrated because I have a brand new XS max with the latest software (did an update right out of the box — IOS 12.1.2) and updated to Mojave 10.14.2 the very same night and it still won’t recognize my phone! Read some other comments about changing to an Original Apple Lightening cable (I was using a longer after-market one) and it immediately recognized my phone and started backing up! Who would’ve thought something that simple could be the fix. I was about to lug my IMac to the nearest store 40 miles away. Thanks everyone!

Installation failed: Can't install the software

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.