Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Installing bootcamp on internal HDD with OSX on External SSD

Hi all,

I tried various solutions, but I keep running into a dead end. So, it's time I asked for some professional help.

I have an iMac 21" with a 1 TB HDD. Since it's extremely slow, I installed the OS on an external SSD. Works fantastic! Now, the I try to install Bootcamp, it only detects the internal HDD and that makes perfect sense. In fact, to conserve some space, I'll probably want to install it on there anyways.

When I do, it asks me to partition the HDD. For argument sakes, let's say 200 GB. The support files where downloaded and the HDD begins to partition. Then, I get this error message:

"Your disk could not be partitioned.

An error occurred while partitioning the disk. Please run Disk Utility to check and fix the error."

User uploaded file

I ran First Aid and couldn't find an errors, so I'm wondering if it's because I don't have an OS on the internal HDD?

iMac, macOS High Sierra (10.13.4), null

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 7:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 18, 2018 10:26 AM

I suggest upgrading the HS version 10.13.6. Once you have the latest macOS, boot from the internal disk and disconnect the external disk. Run BC Assistant and install Windows in the largest possible partition that BCA will allow.

If you want to reduce the macOS size on the internal disk, you can erase the whole internal disk, install macOS in Internet Recovery, and install Windows. Once Windows is installed, leave the internal disk as is, and boot from the external disk.

Similar questions

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 18, 2018 10:26 AM in response to Hulk_Hogan

I suggest upgrading the HS version 10.13.6. Once you have the latest macOS, boot from the internal disk and disconnect the external disk. Run BC Assistant and install Windows in the largest possible partition that BCA will allow.

If you want to reduce the macOS size on the internal disk, you can erase the whole internal disk, install macOS in Internet Recovery, and install Windows. Once Windows is installed, leave the internal disk as is, and boot from the external disk.

Jul 16, 2018 6:57 PM in response to Loner T

Sure thing.

/dev/disk0 (internal, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *1.0 TB disk0

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB
disk0s1

2: Apple_HFS 2ND Mac HD 999.3 GB
disk0s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB
disk0s3

/dev/disk2 (external, physical):

#: TYPE NAME SIZE IDENTIFIER

0: GUID_partition_scheme *500.1 GB
disk2

1: EFI EFI 209.7 MB
disk2s1

2: Apple_HFS Macintosh HD 499.2 GB
disk2s2

3: Apple_Boot Recovery HD 650.0 MB
disk2s3

Jul 18, 2018 10:26 AM in response to Loner T

I got bootcamp to work! So, what you need to do is remove the external drive and install HS on the internal drive. Once complete, you can start bootcamp.

The key thing the bootcamp has to be on the same HDD/SSD with the OSX. Once that's done, you're good to go. Thanks Loner T for validating my initial theory!

Now.. to get the bloody sound to work.

Installing bootcamp on internal HDD with OSX on External SSD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.