Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Imac boots halfway then shuts off

Went to go start my Imac today and it was taking a very long time to boot. It would get to the end of the loading bar then stop and freeze on the boot screen. Turned off the computer then tried again and now it goes halfway then shuts off. I've tried starting in safe mode but it still shuts off halfway. Can someone please help me? I've never upgraded anything, or upgraded the software. I bought it used with El Capitan.

Imac specs: Apple 20inch, Core 2 duo, 2.66GHz, 4GB RAM, 320GB Hard Drive.

MacBook Pro, I dont know whats going on...

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 8:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jul 16, 2018 8:23 AM

Try an SMC reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Try starting up in Safe Mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If neither of those work boot into Recovery and Reinstall Mac OS.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

If none of those work bring it in to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

Apple - Find Locations

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jul 16, 2018 8:23 AM in response to ianmcloed

Try an SMC reset:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201295

Try starting up in Safe Mode:

Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If neither of those work boot into Recovery and Reinstall Mac OS.

About macOS Recovery - Apple Support

If none of those work bring it in to an AASP (Apple Authorized Service Provider):

Apple - Find Locations

Jul 16, 2018 8:23 AM in response to ianmcloed

Try resetting the NVRAM per the directions in Reset NVRAM or PRAM on your Mac - Apple Support

If that does not work try restarting in Safe Mode per Use safe mode to isolate issues with your Mac - Apple Support

If that does not work, then restart in Recovery Partition (Command + R) and open Disk Utility and run First Aide.

However I suspect the HD has failed.

Imac boots halfway then shuts off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.